Error Loading Configurator

If you think that something doesn't work in Aware IM post your message here
Jhstephenson

Error Loading Configurator

Post by Jhstephenson »

We are periodically getting the following error when we load the configurator:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Exception initialising document: java.lang.exception :Connection with Aware IM server may have been lost.
Make sure that the server is running and re-connect by selecting 'Reconnect' in the 'Tools' menu
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The server is running and we don't ever get to a screen where we can select 'Reconnect'.

This happened yesterday for awhile and just went away after about an hour. Today it is not letting me get into the configurator at all.

Any ideas?

Jim
hpl123

Re: Error Loading Configurator

Post by hpl123 »

Jim,
Not sure what causes this but do you have the configuration tool open all the time even when not working on the server etc.? This might cause issues like the one you describe.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
Jhstephenson

Post by Jhstephenson »

Henrik,

No I don't. I always shut it down when I am done for awhile.

Jim
Jhstephenson

Post by Jhstephenson »

Ok, we are now really getting confused.

We decided to reset the server and now I can load the configurator just fine, but the other person in the office cannot and is getting the same error I was.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

If this is a configurator running remotely on a LAN check that the server properties are correctly set in the UIConfig.props file (in the BIN directory of the Configurator).

If it is a local Configuration Tool then you need to restart the server - connection has been lost for some reason.

Note, that you cannot use Configurator remotely over the Internet - it has to be on the same LAN as the server (behind the firewall)
Aware IM Support Team
Jhstephenson

Post by Jhstephenson »

The server properties are correctly set and this is running on our server, not over the internet or locally.

It actually has worked for the last 3 days without an issue but this morning it is doing the same thing.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

This may happen if you leave the machine hibernating. You need to restart the Aware IM server and reconnect.
Aware IM Support Team
Jhstephenson

Post by Jhstephenson »

We did end up restarting the Aware IM server.

I still got the error right after the restart, but then about an hour later I tried it again and it worked.

Jim
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

Jim, you could also run Aware Server/Tomcat as "Service". This is how I do development on my LOCAL machine. But I have not tested it running on a LAN Server as "Service" and connecting your IDE/Configurator to it. But Running as Service might solve this problem.
Jhstephenson

Post by Jhstephenson »

Ben,

We are running it as a service on our lan server. The server is not going into hibernation either.

What is really weird about is that another pc in the office can open it just fine.

Jim
Jhstephenson

Post by Jhstephenson »

I restarted my computer and it works fine now.

So, obviously something is weird in my computer from one day to the next, that is breaking the connection, even though I close my configurator every time I am finished with it for the day.

Jim
Jhstephenson

Post by Jhstephenson »

I thought I had this figured out, but it keeps coming back.

Whenever this occurs we restart the Aware and Tomcat services on our server and then I usually reboot my computer. Today no luck with anything. I even uninstalled the ConfigTool from my computer and then reinstalled it but it still comes up with the same thing.

Not sure where to look now.

Jim
Jhstephenson

Post by Jhstephenson »

I guess to add to this, neither of us can access the configurator right now. We have even tried stopping the services and running the control panel just as an application.

We both get that ridiculously long error message that I posted a bunch of posts ago.

Any ideas?
customaware

Post by customaware »

Jim
Can you please precisely explain your set up.

You have Aware Installed on the server?
You enabled it to run as a service by running the InstallService.bat from the AwareIM\bin folder?

How are you starting the Configurator on your local machine to access the installation on the server?
Cheers,
Mark
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

What are the error messages that you are referring to? Please attach the contents of the server log and of the Configuration Tool output window when this problem happens. This should have some diagnostics on what is going on.

Also try running the server from within the Control Panel, rather than the service and see if you get the same problem.
Aware IM Support Team