Import From Process

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
karelh

Import From Process

Post by karelh »

Hi all

I have built an import template that is used from a process to import and update existing data. If I manually run die import from the GUI it updates the existing records and if I tick "Create record if not found" then it creates all the new records as well. How do I add this option from a process. I have read the manual and have searched the forum but all I can find is the validation option.

Thanks.
Karel
Jaymer

Re: Import From Process

Post by Jaymer »

bump

i, too, am looking for the option to allow it to CREATE new recs.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Does anybody ever read the Rule Language Guide document? It clearly describes the "CREATE IF NOT FOUND" clause.
Aware IM Support Team
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

vlad, i read the USER GUIDE.PDF where it gives examples of IMPORT & EXPORT, and does not show that parameter.
thx, I'll check that out.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

ok, well here is the problem.

lets look at the syntax diagram for the action EXPORT (from RuleLanguage.PDF)

Code: Select all

EXPORT (Id() | StringLiteral()) TO ArithmeticOperation()
[ "FOR UPDATE" ]
[ "EXCLUDE RELATIONSHIPS" ]
[ "EXCLUDE BINARY" ]
[ "USING" ArithmeticExpression () ]
[ "APPEND" ]
compared to IMPORT:

IMPORT Id() (FROM | FROM XML) ArithmeticOperation()
^^^^^^^^^^ this is obviously incomplete.
The options are missing from this diagram...
If you've already seen the UserGuide.PDF section, it only lists THREE options:

The following options can be used with the action:
1. IN BATCHES OF
If the action is likely to import many instances of the business object (hundreds or even thousands) their processing may take a while. In this case it is better to import smaller chunks (batches). After import of each batch finishes the results are immediately committed to the system and stored in the database. If the batch size is not specified the system will only commit the results once all instances have been imported (see Batch Operations). For example:
IMPORT PersonalSavingAccount FROM 'c:/mydocuments/psa.csv'IN BATCHES OF 100
2. WITH VALIDATION
If this keyword is specified any rules associated with the business object being imported will be executed. If any rule fails for some record in the import file, this record will be ignored. If this option is omitted, the instances of the business object will be stored in the system but any rules associated with the business object will not be executed. For example:
IMPORT PersonalSavingAccount FROM 'c:/mydocuments/psa.csv' WITH VALIDATION
3. USING
If this keyword is specified an import is performed using one of the user-defined import templates, for example:
IMPORT PersonalSavingAccount FROM 'c:/mydocuments/psa.csv' USING
'My import template'
IT IS MISSING THESE OPTIONS - 3. KEEP RESULTS, and 4. CREATE IF NOT FOUND, which are only found in RuleLanguage.PDF

I'm only looking at the docs in my sole, installed production directory. Both documents say v 7.1, yet they conflict.
So, yes, I did read, I did search the forum - and had this reply (or SOLUTION by the OP) been posted back in MAY, it would have saved me hours of doing a work around, which was to import my rows into a temporary BO and process them using SEARCH_COUNT to decide if I needed to ADD or UPDATE. It works, but it cost me a big delay.

thx for at least answering this.
jaymer...

Jaymer
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

The User Guide contains a shortened version of the rules (most frequently used operations). For the ultimate guide of the rule language you need to read the Rule Language Guide, which contains a complete description of the syntax. Sorry for misunderstanding.
Aware IM Support Team
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

aware_support wrote:The User Guide contains a shortened version of the rules (most frequently used operations). For the ultimate guide of the rule language you need to read the Rule Languageo Guide, which contains a complete description of the syntax. Sorry for misunderstanding.
What about if we moved the documentation to an HTML/ wiki format? I've been caught out before by different versions of documentation

I'd be happy to help (I'm in the same timezone).
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Thanks for your offer to help but we will not be doing this just yet
Aware IM Support Team