Replace FIND items

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
PointsWell

Replace FIND items

Post by PointsWell »

Hi

I've had a search on this and can't find an answer so if I am duplicating, please point me to the correct post.

I am running a series of processes and rules to create reference data and have come across a problem.

If I use FIND BusOb WHERE BusOb.Name='Something' followed by CREATE AnotherBO WITH AnotherBO.Reference=BusOb then I can insert the referred object into the new BO.

However, if I create a series of records like this then change the BusOb I am getting multiple parameters and only the first one is getting inserted into the Reference Attribute, which then throws all the data off.

How do I reset the results of FIND for the next search that I do?

Many thanks
tford

Re: Replace FIND items

Post by tford »

Guessing you need to explore using FIND ..... IN BATCHES OF 1. You'll find lots of references to this in the forums.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
customaware

Post by customaware »

Always put the CREATE Action in a Sub Process and call that Sub Process immediately after the FIND
Cheers,
Mark
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

tford wrote:Guessing you need to explore using FIND ..... IN BATCHES OF 1. You'll find lots of references to this in the forums.
Gave this a go and while it limits the number of items found, it doesn't overcome the generation of an array, that is to say, it is still adding the second found items to the first found item.

I have taken the route of generating specific sub processes for each find activity.
BLOMASKY

my 0.02 cents worth

Post by BLOMASKY »

Let me politely disagree with the last 2 comments, re: use batches of 1 and put the create in a separate process. Yes, Batches of 1 can solve problems when you THINK you are updating a bunch of records and only 1 is updated (esp. when there is a calculation, I.e. if you find MULTIPLE records then try BO.resultAtt = BO.attr1 * BO.attr2 ... this might give you a diff. result than you expected, thats when batches of 1 can help.

Calling a subprocess has the advantage that it will not run until the steps in the 1st process have finished, (at least, thats what I have found). However this does not seem to be required, instead you can do the same by having your create on a separate line.

When you create a process that has a FIND then a CREATE you can do one of the following
1) One line, with both operations on it (wrong)
2) line 1 with the find, then line 2 with the create
3) line 1 with the find then line 2 calling a process to do the create.

My experience is that 2 and 3 work the same.

I spent a fair amount of time trying to "debug" the behavior with a fairly complex process my system required. I have Multiple "Quotes" for 1 customer. The user can select 1 or multiple quote lines (not in a pick list, but by toggling a field in the file), then start a process that will convert the quote(s) to an order header and order line. To make this more interesting, no matter how many quotes are selected, there is one order header for all of them, then an order line for each quote. Each quote has many related tables, (Tally, Units, etc.) that have to also be added to each order line as relationships). yea, I know this might seem confusing without an ER diagram, but let me show you my process (with comments) that accomplishes this.

line 1: /* NO PROBLEM HAVING 2 FINDS IN 1 LINE */
FIND Customers WHERE Customers=LoggedInRegularUser.selectedCustomer

FIND Quotes
WHERE Quotes.ob_Customers = Customers.ID AND
Quotes.status = 'Q' AND
Quotes.selectedFlag = 'Yes'
TAKE BEST 1

line2: /* SHOWING ONLY PART OF THE CREATE */
CREATE Orders WITH
Orders.DOLChange=CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,
Orders.PONumber=LoggedInRegularUser.quotePO,
Orders.contact=LoggedInRegularUser.selectedCustomerContact.firstName+' '+LoggedInRegularUser.selectedCustomerContact.lastName,
Orders.noLines=0,

line 3: /* READ THE QUOTES ON THIS LINE, THEN CREATE THE ORDER LINES FOR EACH ONE */
FIND Quotes
WHERE Quotes.ob_Customers = Customers.ID AND
Quotes.status='Q' AND
Quotes.selectedFlag = 'Yes'
ORDER BY Quotes.DOLChange, Quotes.ID

line 4: /* CREATE ORDER LINES FOR EACH QUOTE */
CREATE OrderLines FOR EACH Quotes WITH
OrderLines.ob_Orders=Orders,
OrderLines.orderNumber = Orders.orderNumber,
OrderLines.ps_Quotes = Quotes,
OrderLines.ob_Items=Quotes.ob_Items,

line 5: /* SINCE EACH ORDERLINE (THAT WAS JUST CREATED) CAN HAVE MULTIPLE TALLY RECORDS, HERE I HAVE TO CALL A PROCESS, PASSING THE ORDERLINES (NOTICE ON LINE 4, SINCE I HAVE THE LINE (OrderLines.ps_Quotes = Quotes) I NOW HAVE IN QUOTES THE REVERSE RELATIONSHIP SO WHEN I CALL THE FOLLOWING PROCESS:
CreateOrderTallyFromQuoteTally
THIS PROCESS CAN DO THE FOLLOWING IN 3 LINES:
FIND Quotes WHERE Quotes =OrderLines.ps_Quotes
FIND QuoteTally WHERE QuoteTally IN Quotes.om_QuoteTally
CREATE OrderTally FOR EACH QuoteTally
WITH OrderTally.ob_OrderLines=Quotes.ps_OrderLines,

Hope this wasn't TOO confusing, but since I spent a while trying to understand the timing and how aware does its magic in the background, figured I would share.

Bruce
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

Bruce,
if LINE 1 was a PICK ONE OR MORE from...
then doesn't LINE 2 have to be a call to a CREATE process?

my create, right now, is only creating one record even though multiple were picked. I'm about to go research this, but thought it was simple to ask here.

thx for laying this stuff out.
jaymer...
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL