V7 - form design - merge rows

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
johntalbott

Re: V7 - form design - merge rows

Post by johntalbott »

The approach that I used is little more involved than the approach shared by Support. But if you are looking for an alternative, here is what I did. Everything below is using the Staff Entry form of the CRM sample application.

Step 1. Put the controls that are getting pushed down the form into the same row as the tall control.
entryformconfig2.png
entryformconfig2.png (156.33 KiB) Viewed 22685 times
Step 2. Add id's to the attributes in the form to make it easier to refer to them using jQuery
fieldswithids2.png
fieldswithids2.png (131 KiB) Viewed 22685 times
Step 3. Add a Render script to remove display and width values in the CSS of the container for each field

Code: Select all

$("#lastname").closest (".form-group").parent().css( {"display":"", "width":""});
$("#email").closest (".form-group").parent().css( {"display":"", "width":""});
$("#jobtitle").closest (".form-group").parent().css( {"display":"", "width":""});
$("#loginname").closest (".form-group").parent().css( {"display":"", "width":""});
$("#password").closest (".form-group").parent().css( {"display":"", "width":""});
$("#accesslevel").closest (".form-group").parent().css( {"display":"", "width":""});
VocalDay Solutions - Agility - Predictability - Quality

We specialize in enabling business through the innovative use of technology.

AwareIM app with beautiful UI/UX - https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/crfUrrVeB3t
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

The approach suggested by us only works for text areas. If you use pictures they should be already covered by the standard CSS settings and should not produce this gap.
Aware IM Support Team
customaware

Post by customaware »

aware_support wrote:The approach suggested by us only works for text areas. If you use pictures they should be already covered by the standard CSS settings and should not produce this gap.
Please explain what you mean by this and provide a sample bsv to demonstrate.
Cheers,
Mark
pureist

Post by pureist »

the Picture/Image upload control has never expanded the row height, either in a single column form, or multiple column form.
The control itself expands when a picture/image has been uploaded (to display the image) but it overlays controls/attributes below it, like it is floating over the top of the them, rather than expanding the row.
Attached is a bsv demonstrating. Create and new Regular User and attach a picture.

THE OUTSANDING PROBLEM, however, is that the Document upload control which works exactly the same way as the image upload control (uploads a file), DOES expand the row when it expands, as well as when the form is first loaded.
And it is also not the same default dimensions as the Image upload control.
Support needs to adjust the css on the Document upload control so it works like the Picture upload control in that when it expands it overlays the controls below and does not expand the row.
And while doing that, also adjust the defaiult dimensions of the document upload control to be the same as those of the Picture upload control, for the sake of uniformity.
twocolformwithPictandDocattr.zip
(34.6 KiB) Downloaded 717 times
eagles9999 wrote:
aware_support wrote:The approach suggested by us only works for text areas. If you use pictures they should be already covered by the standard CSS settings and should not produce this gap.

Please explain what you mean by this and provide a sample bsv to demonstrate.
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

This issue also arises when you use a map image in the second column

Bryan

Post by Bryan »

I am prepared to create a custom css file but I am not sure where to start on this one. Any tips/steps to accomplishing this?

Also, if I create a custom css file will upgrading to a newer version of AwareIM remove it? Just going from past experience customization outside the BSV is a nightmare to manage and I try to avoid it as much as possible.
-Bryan
Version 8 (Build 2358)
johntalbott

Post by johntalbott »

Create folder with the same name as your BSV under Custom\CSS\

Example:
C:\AwareIM64\Tomcat\webapps\AwareIM\Custom\CSS\YourBSVName\YourCSSFile.css

I don't believe an update will overwrite your CSS, but I would not count on it. ALWAYS create a backup copy of all custom files before updating.
VocalDay Solutions - Agility - Predictability - Quality

We specialize in enabling business through the innovative use of technology.

AwareIM app with beautiful UI/UX - https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/crfUrrVeB3t
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

I was able to implement the css file as described by support and johntalbott. Thank you.

Adding this however presents the following issue. Notice the grid going over top of the Save button.
Rightlist copy.png
Rightlist copy.png (119.16 KiB) Viewed 22099 times
-Bryan
Version 8 (Build 2358)
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Any help on this one.

My main dev machine bricked on me so I migrated over to a windows machine. I can recreate the css file but would prefer a better solution if it exists now.
-Bryan
Version 8 (Build 2358)
rbross

Post by rbross »

Using this css :/* Note field Spacing*/
.aw-column-multi textarea {
position: absolute;
}

You can have a form that looks like this: The Instructions attribute is 45 pixels high.
MulticolumnText.JPG
MulticolumnText.JPG (42.49 KiB) Viewed 21487 times
Here is another example of a larger text attribute with more attributes to the left. The Directions attribute is 200x200 pixels in this example.
SampleLargeTextAttrbute.JPG
SampleLargeTextAttrbute.JPG (41.64 KiB) Viewed 21487 times
Roger Ross
AwareIM 8.7 (build 3025) ~ MS-SQL ~ Windows 10 ~
AwareIM 8.5 (build 2828) ~ MS-SQL ~ Windows 10 ~