SENDing EMAIl - How do we get "Success/failure" return back?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
BenHayat

SENDing EMAIl - How do we get "Success/failure" return back?

Post by BenHayat »

when I send an email, I need to know if "SEND" was successful or not and get result back from SEND, so based on the result I can carry certain actions.
Powerm

Re: SENDing EMAIl - How do we get "Success/failure" return b

Post by Powerm »

You could Mandrill's smtp to send and based on their API update, set-up an action.
Independent Developer
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

Here's an idea that I have had but never got around to implementing it , try it out it may be a good work around solution:

1. Create an object for unsent emails
2. Create a process that creates an object for each file in the AwareIM\ USENT_EMAIL\ folder
3. Run the process periodically
a. when the object is created have a rule that calculates and stores the filename and path to the file
b. Once you know the the file name after the object is created insert the contents of the file in the UNSENT_EMAIL .Text attribute using URL_CONTENTS('file:///C:/AwareIM/UNSENT_EMAIL/<<UNSENT_EMAIL.Filename>>.txt')
c. Now that you have the contents of the failed email text in in your UNSENT_EMAIL object , decipher the ID of the email it is related to using a combination of WORDS FROM LEFT, WORDS FROM RIGHT and SUBSTRING if neccessary (make sure when you send emails you embed the ID of the email into the message somewhere)
d . Link the UNSENT_EMAIL object to the OutgoingEmail object using the deciphered OutgoingEmail.ID and present the Failed Status
e . Delete the unsent email file in AwareIM\UNSENT_EMAIL\

So if the OutgoingEmail.Status is not set to failed assume that it has been sent

hope that makes sense, let me know what you think
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

Powerm wrote:You could Mandrill's smtp to send and based on their API update, set-up an action.
What I really need to know from Aware's system a success return Boolean (Y/N) if it was successful to communicate and hand over an email to a server. I had an issue over the weekend where the result would have helped me to diagnose the problem. In .Net, you get that result back and I'm sure in Java is the same. It would be nice to get a result back.

After that I can use a third party API to deal with delivery.
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

ACDC wrote:Here's an idea that I have had but never got around to implementing it , try it out it may be a good work around solution:

1. Create an object for unsent emails
2. Create a process that creates an object for each file in the AwareIM\ USENT_EMAIL\ folder
3. Run the process periodically
a. when the object is created have a rule that calculates and stores the filename and path to the file
b. Once you know the the file name after the object is created insert the contents of the file in the UNSENT_EMAIL .Text attribute using URL_CONTENTS('file:///C:/AwareIM/UNSENT_EMAIL/<<UNSENT_EMAIL.Filename>>.txt')
c. Now that you have the contents of the failed email text in in your UNSENT_EMAIL object , decipher the ID of the email it is related to using a combination of WORDS FROM LEFT, WORDS FROM RIGHT and SUBSTRING if neccessary (make sure when you send emails you embed the ID of the email into the message somewhere)
d . Link the UNSENT_EMAIL object to the OutgoingEmail object using the deciphered OutgoingEmail.ID and present the Failed Status
e . Delete the unsent email file in AwareIM\UNSENT_EMAIL\

So if the OutgoingEmail.Status is not set to failed assume that it has been sent

hope that makes sense, let me know what you think
Thanks Tony!
crisg0112

Post by crisg0112 »

BenHayat wrote:when I send an email, I need to know if "SEND" was successful or not and get result back from SEND, so based on the result I can carry certain actions.
+1

I also need this functionality. Based on initial discussion with support, it is on the AwareLog BUT there must be a simpler way to return that value back to the SEND ACTION ?
Thanks in advance!

Cris
MSSQL 2008R2, Aware 7 b2146, IE11, , Firefox 35.0.1, Windows 8 Bootstrap theme
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

1+ and having this via rules or possibly an attribute we can populate in the notification would of course be ideal. Thx
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
RLJB

Post by RLJB »

Has anyone found an elegant solution to this?

The problem:

1. a bunch of emails ends up in UNSENT_EMAIL folder
2. we only check it every few days
3. if there is a problem we are late to know and clients get angry (my invoice email didn't reach destination!) 9

Would be nice if Aware configured/informed us of the fail to send in some manner other than just sitting in UNSENT_EMAIL. There is a suggestion above to build a process to look in the Unsent mail folder, I guess this is a possible solution, but a "baked in" Aware solution I'm sure would be nicer and more robust.
Rod. Aware 8.6 (latest build), Developer Edition, on OS Linux (Ubuntu) using GUI hosted on AWS EC2, MYSQL on AWS RDS