Phonegap anyone? Or nativescript support?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
JonP

Re: Phonegap anyone? Or nativescript support?

Post by JonP »

Thanks guys, this was helpful. Looks like AIM isn't the right platform for my mobile needs. I'll look into the suggestions.
v8.1 on Windows 10 / MySQL 5.6 (local), v8.1 on Windows Server 2016 / MySQL 5.6 (server)
JonP

Post by JonP »

Wow, Dash/Flutter looks cool!
v8.1 on Windows 10 / MySQL 5.6 (local), v8.1 on Windows Server 2016 / MySQL 5.6 (server)
idpSteve

Post by idpSteve »

Hi Jon.

Do you mean Dart/Flutter? Is Dash something different? I've looked into flutter and I think if you're doing something like that then it might be best to go with React, which has been around for a lot longer.. Just my 0.02

Perhaps give this a read:

https://hackernoon.com/react-native-vs- ... e412d0b9ab

I still have hope for Aware Mobile. I've heard a rumor that the Aware team are updating to use CLI-8.0.0 soon and are working on other things like offline (important for mobile apps for some people) and adding more cordova plugins (might include a way to access contacts..) by default.. I'd say if possible wait it out for a short while and see what happens.. From what I've seen Flutter/React/etc are all very code based and development time isn't anything close to Aware IM.
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

REALLY REALLY hoping Awaresoft focus more on mobile for Aware in upcoming versions. Mobile first is not going away and mobile/table use is increasing. I love all new changes to Aware overall (desktop, REST, security etc. etc.) so not saying not to focus on these, I want more of it all :).
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

FEATURE CREEP

I would love to see more emphasis placed on mobile, rather than the rumored ERD-drawing visual capabilities stuff.
That may look great on paper, or for non-techies to adopt Aware (if Aware think thats the future for revenue), but I still have to give a +1 for just "making stuff work better"

jaymer...
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Code: Select all

REALLY REALLY hoping Awaresoft focus more on mobile for Aware in upcoming versions
Any specifics please? So far, we have these requests recorded (and they will be addressed):
1. More Cordova plugins (Contacts etc)
2. More offline capabilities (we think about support forms in the offline mode in addition to what we have now, i.e. queries and calendars)
3. Update to the latest PhoneGap CLI version

Anything else??

but I still have to give a +1 for just "making stuff work better"
Any specifics, please?
Aware IM Support Team
intra

Post by intra »

No Idea, i saw it come up on one of my news feeds and i had a quick look at it.

I liked that it does both IOS and Android from one codebase, however i suspect its really in the realm of what a native developer (for mobile) would use.
eagles9999 wrote:
intra wrote:Recently 'flutter' has also been released from beta.

https://flutter.io/
But can that be integrated with Aware in any way?
Avid Linux user....
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Regarding Cordova plugins again. It is actually very difficult for us to properly integrate all useful plugins into Aware IM - there are so many! And they are being deprecated and changed all the time. We have already provided proper integration with some core ones - Camera, Geo Location, Notifications

However, if you are familiar with Javascript you can relatively easily integrate them yourselves. For example, it should be quite straightforward to integrate the Contacts plugin. We will add a video that explains how to do it in detail. If you want a general idea on how to integrate the Contacts plugin before the video is released let me know.
Aware IM Support Team
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

aware_support wrote: We will add a video that explains how to do it in detail. If you want a general idea on how to integrate the Contacts plugin before the video is released let me know.
A good and rich video would be very helpful that actually shows how to do it. and where these codes should go.
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

aware_support wrote:

REALLY REALLY hoping Awaresoft focus more on mobile for Aware in upcoming versions
Any specifics please? So far, we have these requests recorded (and they will be addressed):
1. More Cordova plugins (Contacts etc)
2. More offline capabilities (we think about support forms in the offline mode in addition to what we have now, i.e. queries and calendars)
3. Update to the latest PhoneGap CLI version

Anything else??

but I still have to give a +1 for just "making stuff work better"
Any specifics, please?
Well, I am not really using the native build yet (looking into it now actually) so don´t have much concrete feedback but of the top of my head here are some of my wishes:
- One of the reasons I don´t use the native build is I dare not :shock: :D . IT FEELS like it´s unreliable but that is just my FEELING about it and might be far from the truth so a reassurance that it´s working + it´s being maintained (as Apple/Google release changes all the time which MIGHT mean a Phonegap upgrade is needed after release and not 1 year after which might cause a problem when updating an app is needed).
- Fullscreen (webapp not native). The option (default) to display the mobile app in fullscreen with browser toolbars etc. hidden so when saving the mobile app URL on a homescreen, the app when launched covers the entire screen with no toolbars etc..
- Tabstrip (webapp and native): https://demos.telerik.com/kendo-ui/m/in ... ip-profile (the icon menu at the bottom of the screen if that was unclear). Sure it´s a bit old etc. and we can probably do something like this ourselves with hacks but having this integrated and simple to use would be nice and it is still a very good mobile navigation option.
- Local credential management (native) SECURELY i.e no plain text saved some where in cache on the mobile device but the ability to save credentials on the mobile device and related to enable autologin if the credentials are saved etc..
- Better UI options (native) for tablet/mobile e.g splashscreen option, statusbar option (https://www.npmjs.com/package/cordova-plugin-statusbar), push notification customisation and whatever else might needed to create a first class tablet/mobile app.
- Offline message proper (native). Not sure if this is implemented? If the mobile device has no internet connection, display a proper, nicely formatted error message (maybe something we can customise ourselves i.e style/text).
- Screen orientation setting (native) i.e the option to select if screen orientation change is allowed or not.
- Fix calendar bug (webapp and native). A thing that has been bugging me for a long time is the mobile calendar bug; when in the month view and clicking on a date, a create form pop/flash over the screen and then the day view for the selected date is displayed. Fix the pop/flash of the create form.
- UUID (unique device ID) information access (native).
- More local storage options (native).
- A guide and/or video on how to integrate plugins ourselves (native) + do additional manual changes ourselves (already mentioned above possibly).
mrbdrm

Post by mrbdrm »

since my use are mostly with the app. here are some things that i wish they get improved

-a better looking menu with collapse option.
-transitions between pages are not usable currently (all they do is play the same animation on every refresh)
- application navbar (top or bottom)
- improvement to mobile custom query. currently there is no way to know if there is no result by the query. all you see is blank white content. users don't get any feedback if there is no items.
- mobile pop up need to be improved to take 100% with the width and height of the display.
- all links should have the option to select the output target (system browser - in app browser - same window)

that is some of the point out the top of my head.
JonP

Post by JonP »

Do you mean Dart/Flutter?
Facepalm - yep.

Perhaps give this a read:

https://hackernoon.com/react-native-vs- ... e412d0b9ab
Dart/Flutter has come a long way in the last 6 months - plus now there is Hummingbird for web (just released into beta). But if I can get what I need from AIM/Phonegap, that's the way to go.

For example, it should be quite straightforward to integrate the Contacts plugin. We will add a video that explains how to do it in detail.
Yes please! ...and maybe a sample bsv?

P.S. Sorry about the slow response. The "notify me when a reply is posted" feature isn't working.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Thanks for the details. Some items need a bit of clarification, please:

- Local credential management (native) SECURELY i.e no plain text saved some where in cache on the mobile device but - More local storage options (native).the ability to save credentials on the mobile device and related to enable autologin if the credentials are saved etc..
Not sure I understand this one

- Fix calendar bug (webapp and native). A thing that has been bugging me for a long time is the mobile calendar bug; when in the month view and clicking on a date, a create form pop/flash over the screen and then the day view for the selected date is displayed. Fix the pop/flash of the create form. 
Can you please send testing BSV?

-a better looking menu with collapse option.
What menu are you talking about?

-transitions between pages are not usable currently (all they do is play the same animation on every refresh)
Not sure I understand. Can you send us a video of what you mean?

- application navbar (top or bottom)
Please elaborate
Aware IM Support Team
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

[quote="aware_support"]Thanks for the details. Some items need a bit of clarification, please:

- Local credential management (native) SECURELY i.e no plain text saved some where in cache on the mobile device but - More local storage options (native).the ability to save credentials on the mobile device and related to enable autologin if the credentials are saved etc..
Not sure I understand this one

Reply: If you develop a native Aware mobile app today, doesn´t it mean that you have to log in / type credentials every time you open up the app on the mobile device? (I might be wrong and this already exists?). The solution I am suggesting is create a solution where the user types in credentials the first time they log on and the credentials are then stored so the user is logged on automatically following times when opening up the app. The plain text comment is to insist it is a secure solution as I know there are workarounds to this problem via storing credentials in a non encrypted, plain text file on the mobile device. PS: I am not talking about having the standard browser "Save password" feature (when logging into a page you get the question if you want to save credentials and they are then saved in the actual browser) if that already exists but a proper solution for saving credentials.

Can you please send testing BSV?

Reply: This is general Aware bug and can be seen in any smartphone accessing the mobile calendar. To see an example open up the CRM sample app on a mobile device: Login > Company diary > Select month view > Click on date > A create form pop up momentarily (bug) after which the day view for the selected date is displayed.
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

JonP wrote:Wow, Dash/Flutter looks cool!
Flutter looks good with a better language support (DART) than using JS, for creating true OO systems. Flutter is almost as good as true native code like Objective -C and Java running on the device WITHOUT any shell or interpreter like Ionics or NativeScript or React Native.
And Google is heavily behind it. But it needs time to get rich and mature.

But if you really don't need to use the device sensors and service for a business app, my most favorite is to avoid hybrid and native and build your app to run in browser to run from a URL than installed by user.

The best performance and screen responsiveness I've seen so far, is tp use Vue Framework and Quasar Library to write ONE code that runs as Desktop SPA or WPA and/or Mobile.
Runs very smooth, fast and perfect for business apps.
But it doesn't really work with Aware, because Aware doesn't have a full REST Expose system with full OAuth security and standard REST implementation.

It would be great f Awaresoft would jump over the REST system and adopt to GraphQL and bypass the whole generation of REST. GraphQL is the future of data sharing platform.

An excellent comparison video. Watch it completely, as he brings everything together at the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnYJRYFsrSw