Aware's Reporting - Jasper Reports upgrade for next release?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
BenHayat

Aware's Reporting - Jasper Reports upgrade for next release?

Post by BenHayat »

To Support;

Is there plan to upgrade Aware'a Reporting system with the latest "Jasper Reports" for the next major update?
kklosson

Re: Aware's Reporting - Jasper Reports upgrade for next rele

Post by kklosson »

There's been lots of discussion on this and I will try to summarize...

1. The Jasper licensing scheme has apparently changed significantly.
2. The Jasper products have changed significantly.
3. Incorporating (or re-incorporating) AwareIM concepts to any new Jasper (or other) report engine is a significant undertaking.
4. I've not heard of anything on the roadmap to improve the reporting engine.

It seems that there are no alternatives having a good ROI for AwareIM. There may be no real alternatives period.

That said, I've done a lot with the report engine and it's critical to my app. There are issues that I would like to see resolved, the biggest in my view is that the engine's pagination calculations get screwy and will often throw a page break when it's not needed, especially when you have embedded reports.

If there was a shiny new report engine available and I had to pay more money to use it, I would. But as things are, I am getting by.
V8.8
MySQL, AWS EC2, S3
PDFtk Toolkit
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

Thanks KK, Hope support has some new plans.
Powerm

Post by Powerm »

We had talks about that, it was not on the road map :(

http://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic. ... lit=jasper
Independent Developer
www.atwing.com
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

Powerm wrote:We had talks about that, it was not on the road map :(

http://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic. ... lit=jasper
If you are at the conference, can you press on this issue to see, what Awaresoft's plan is, to use another product and what it would take to do so? Just saying "It's a big job isn't an answer to our client's".
Telerik has an excellent Report writer that works with many systems.
Even if I had to pay extra for new report writer, I would because reports are very critical to business apps.

Imagine Lexus is still using a transmission that's a decade old in their new cars. You thin people are going to overlook that? We really need a plan...
weblike

Post by weblike »

Hi,

Yes this would be a great evolution to the product.
I had recently spoke wiht Vlad, but they don't intend to upgrade this section because that was pointed above.

It would be great if this problem is raised in the conference. Also integration with Active Reports (http://activereports.grapecity.com/), Crystal Reports would be OK, if we can call the reports from AwareIM.

Nice day,
Thx,
George
DB: MySql 5.6.42
ask180

Post by ask180 »

I understand the issues with upgrading Jasper reports, because of its integration. So leave it as it is.

But I need another reporting solution (no reason why AwareIM can't include a second reporting option, where we can build reports in some other tool (or tools, such as Crystal), and be able to call them seemlessly from the AwareIM environment. Passing parameters by some mechanism (such as the command line) would make it very useful.

The AwareIM solution is brilliant, but is let down badly by poor reporting functionality.
himanshu

Post by himanshu »

Hi Support,

Any plan or road map for the reporting tool upgradtion...

We are currently struggling with current version of Reporting (Jasper Reports). :!:

Please Please !! accommodate our request to enhance the reporting feature.
From,
Himanshu Jain

AwareIM Consultant (since version 4.0)
DB: MYSQL, MSSQL
himanshu

Post by himanshu »

Hi Support,
There are issues that I would like to see resolved, the biggest in my view is that the engine's pagination calculations get screwy and will often throw a page break when it's not needed, especially when you have embedded reports.

Currently struggling with report extra page like in previous post Kklosson has post it. I have created a one page report while troubleshooting 4 out of 10 report has extra blank page.

Can you suggest something to fix it ?
From,
Himanshu Jain

AwareIM Consultant (since version 4.0)
DB: MYSQL, MSSQL
weblike

Post by weblike »

Hi,

Unfortunately it's true. The reporting tool is a section which has remained 10 years in the past while AWIM evolved a lot.

Support said in many related posts that upgrading the reporting tool is very big work and they will not include this part in their todo list.

In nowadays the reports are very important (good looking reports). In many cases that makes the difference between web apps.

Let's forget about Jasper. It's difficult to upgrade,etc...
Like ask180 said: Giving us the possibility to integrate with other Reports Servers and to call/import those reports seamlessly in AWIM, would be also great feature.

I pray every day that Awaresoft will reconsider in giving us more options in using gorgeous reports in AWIM. :)

Cheers,
Thx,
George
DB: MySql 5.6.42
ninap

Post by ninap »

a more logical approach is simply state the top 3 reporting packages/tools which everyone would like; or document the lacking features - find those in another package and let the market drive the solution.

a) What is the top reporting Tool which you feel is best suited as an AddOn?
b) What features is AIM lacking in reporting which are MUST Haves (follow the MoSCoW rule)
must haves, should haves, could haves, wont have

once we each understand what it is that is the issue then there is something tangible to solve.

i for one would invest in development to have a 3rd party tool which could integrate..

txs (my two cents) nina ;)
Powerm

Post by Powerm »

Independent Developer
www.atwing.com
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

100+ for more options if it´s a new reporting tool/engine or an integration to another/some other tool.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
RocketRod

Post by RocketRod »

My view is that AwareIM should not try and embed a report writer within their application . There are many report writers that can work off a SQL or MYSql DB and have all the features that one would ever need. I currently use Microsoft reporting services off a SQL DB and launch the reports from within an AwareIM process using the display URL command. So I have no issues with reporting. To me this is the way to proceed so it never is an issue again. Reports should be designed outside of AwareIM and from within AwareIM we just need a way to call the reports from a process, VP etc. AwareIM then only have to manage and maintain the calling process and not the report writer itself. So I would have AwareIM remove the current Jasper reporting tool from within AwareIM and then just provide ways of calling the main report writing tools like Crystal etc.

Cheers Rod