Obfuscation of url LINKS - Pitch in ?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

There is always going to be customised settings and the way to handle this is to keep a directory of the changes that need to take place and when doing the upgrade copy over the files into the new install, This is very painful I know but in the bigger scheme of things the time saved using this development tool far outweighs the effort to copy over the custom settings on every upgrade.

SSL is part of the Tomcat setup

If you want to get SSL going check this link out (BTW you don't have to subscribe to an authenticator to get a secure link in place)

http://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3554
hpl123

SSL

Post by hpl123 »

ACDC wrote:(BTW you don't have to subscribe to an authenticator to get a secure link in place)
ACDC, what did you mean here? Is it possible to get https/SSL without using a authenticator?
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

What I meant was that you don't have to subscribe to a third party issuer to get SSL working.

This would however result in the user at time of login getting a warning that the link has not been verified , but once the user has accepted the status, then the warning in future normally does not appear again and the SSL link will prevail

So you basically end up managing your own fake certificate from your server

Obviously this is not the right way to do things, but it serves the purpose of a secure link for testing or for use in a controlled user base and where you may be using a ip address in the url as opposed to a domain name

If you google "install ssl without certificate" you will find a lot more information on the topic
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

What I meant was that you don't have to subscribe to a third party issuer to get SSL working.

This would however result in the user at time of login getting a warning that the link has not been verified , but once the user has accepted the status, then the warning in future normally does not appear again and the SSL link will prevail

So you basically end up managing your own fake certificate from your server

Obviously this is not the right way to do things, but it serves the purpose of a secure link for testing or for use in a controlled user base and where you may be using a ip address in the url as opposed to a domain name

If you google "install ssl without certificate" you will find a lot more information on the topic
hpl123

THX

Post by hpl123 »

Ok, thanks for the clarification.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

5.7 supports encryption of links using two new functions ENCRYPT_B64 and DECRYPT_B64

See more details in the 5.7 User Guide
Aware IM Support Team
Rennur

Post by Rennur »

Anyone used this FUNCTION yet?
BobK

Post by BobK »

Hi Rennur,

I have tested the encryption of links and here is how I did it:

I created a new Business Object with 2 Plain Text fields, ClearURL and EncryptedURL and 1 rule;
If Encryption.ClearURL WAS CHANGED Then
Encryption.EncryptedURL=ENCRYPT_B64(Encryption.ClearURL)
This BO is used just to encrypt the URL.

After publishing, I created an instance of the Encryption object and entered the following part of the URL I wanted encrypted in the ClearURL field:
domain=myDomain&userName=theUser&password=thePassword&firstCommand=startProcessWithInit,CreateData,main,InputData&Cost=$21.95&Name=Test Test&OnOffOption=OFF
and the encrypted URL was calculated and displayed in the EncryptedURL field.

I then added a link in an html page with: http://myserver/AwareIM/logonOp.aw?e=the actual Encrypted URL from the EncryptedURL field

When I clicked on the link, AwareIM automatically decrypted the URL, I was logged into Aware and my CreateData process was executed with the supplied values.
Bob
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

I then added a link in an html page with: http://myserver/AwareIM/logonOp.aw?e=the actual Encrypted URL from the EncryptedURL field
Bob
are you sure this is the complete url , as i tried to decrypt this and it failed
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

if that is the case then there is true encryption taking place as opposed to plain old obfuscation, thats music to my ears..well hopefully!
tford

Post by tford »

I have not yet explored the new features, but I'm wondering if this could be used in association with the Google/Facebook/Twitter login feature.

For example, if you want to send someone a link to edit or view something & you assume your user is already logged into Google. If you have Google login enabled in your app, they I wonder if this encrypted link will open the item directly without having to specifically log in to AwareIM.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
BobK

Post by BobK »

I did not post the actual encrypted string, it is rather long. I will post it now along with more details.

If the actual URL was: http://myserver/AwareIM/logonOp.aw?doma ... &Name=Test Test&OnOffOption=OFF

From my meager knowledge of how the internet works, I assume the first part (http://myserver/AwareIM/logonOp.aw?) should not be encrypted.

So my ClearURL was populated with the rest of the string: domain=myDomain&userName=theUser&password=thePassword&firstCommand=startProcessWithInit,CreateData,main,InputData&Cost=$21.95&Name=Test Test&OnOffOption=OFF

The encrypted string was computed to be:
FxkUAB1eSS0NNxsbURoYXxQHVQYOFR4RS0QbEywSEUJSMBUABwFfARJEFRxVJCEHAAMZQhdQHwgGQwADGx4ZF14XSwoVFUIAEAYcFxNDACEQFRx5GikAXzcEVRICHCUVRBVsGRIdGBw6GAkUAHQVNBVVNxlDB0tdU0UeTXVSPRUbVU4iHBIAECAlBwdSOV48EB8uBEQdLxpOOzB2

So the link on my html page was
http://myserver/AwareIM/logonOp.aw?e=Fx ... QdLxpOOzB2
Bob
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

Thanks for the clarification, I have tried to decrypt your encrypted url on a number of online Base64 decrypt sites and still don't have any success.

So this seems to confirm that there is additional encryption taking place on the server which therefore makes it more secure than plain base64 encrypt
nlarson

Post by nlarson »

that would be welcome news!
hpl123

Verification

Post by hpl123 »

ACDC wrote:Thanks for the clarification, I have tried to decrypt your encrypted url on a number of online Base64 decrypt sites and still don't have any success.

So this seems to confirm that there is additional encryption taking place on the server which therefore makes it more secure than plain base64 encrypt
Welcome news indeed if so. Support, can you verify if/that this is the case?
Thanks