swap select

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Hubertus

swap select

Post by Hubertus »

Hello,

I have (among others) 2 BO's. TruckDelivery and Order (1:N). TruckDelivery contains an attribute Orders defined as Type Order with multiple allowed and "Owner Of". Matching attribute in Orders is again TruckDelivery. So far everything worked great until I encountered the new swap select.
I can move an Order to a TruckDelivery but when _removing_ (because I want to deliver one order using another Truck) the Order gets deleted. A swap select would be really impressive to my customer but deleting an order not really...

Could anybody be so kind and point me in the right direction ?

Thanks a lot
Hubertus
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

I think the issue is parent/child relationship between objects. This relationship assumes that the child object cannot exist without its parent. This means that the child object (Order) is automatically deleted by the system once it is dissociated from its parent (TruckDelivery).

This also implies that child objects should only be created from the form of the parent object, not independently (as the latter would imply the children objects can be created without a parent).

All this means that the "swap select" control is not the right control for parent/child relationship as it allows the user to select objects from the list of already existing objects.

So the recommendation is either to get rid of the parent/child relationship and use "swap select" or keep the relationship and not use "swap select"

Best Regards
Aware IM Support Team