Macintosh daemon option?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Tom Morrison

Macintosh daemon option?

Post by Tom Morrison »

I see where you now provide for AwareIM to run as a service in Windows and Linux. Is there any reason this will not work in Mac OS 10.4.x? Also, I was able to start it via the recommended script (as I previously wrote), but the only way to stop it was by killing all Java processes from the command line. I felt this was a little crude. Can it be gracefully stopped now?

Finally, when I had started it via the command line, I was not able to start up the Configuration Tool to make changes. It would either hang or abort midstream, as I recall. Has this situation been addressed?

(Really) finally -- thanks for taking action on this critical issue. We consider it a show stopper for us.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

I see where you now provide for AwareIM to run as a service in Windows and Linux. Is there any reason this will not work in Mac OS 10.4.x? Also, I was able to start it via the recommended script (as I previously wrote), but the only way to stop it was by killing all Java processes from the command line. I felt this was a little crude. Can it be gracefully stopped now?
We do not provide Linux or Macintosh daemon option yet. However, startAwareIMNoGUI.sh should work fine and you could put it into the Linux or Mac startup script. Unfortunately at the moment you have to kill it by killing java processes.

Finally, when I had started it via the command line, I was not able to start up the Configuration Tool to make changes. It would either hang or abort midstream, as I recall. Has this situation been addressed?
There is a script in the BIN directory called ClientStarter.sh that will start the Configuration Tool. This is the Linux version of the script and you need to modify it slightly. Or you can copy the lines below into a script and execute it. This will start the Configuration Tool (provided that Aware IM server has been started by the nonGUI script) - it has been tested and it works fine on our systems:

JBOSS_HOME=${JBOSS_HOME:-"../JBoss"}
TOMCAT_HOME=${TOMCAT_HOME:-"../Tomcat"}
AWARE_HOME=${AWARE_HOME:-"../Tomcat/shared/lib"}

CLASSPATH=${CLASSPATH:-"$JBOSS_HOME/client/jnp-client.jar:$JBOSS_HOME/client/jnet.jar:$JBOSS_HOME/client/jboss-common-client.jar:$JBOSS_HOME/client/jbossmq-client.jar:$JBOSS_HOME/client/jboss-j2ee.jar:$TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib/servlet-api.jar:$TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib/jsp-api.jar:$JBOSS_HOME/client/concurrent.jar:$AWARE_HOME/openAdaptor.jar:$AWARE_HOME/jgraph.jar:$AWARE_HOME/jasperreports-0.5.0.jar:$AWARE_HOME/xerces.jar:$AWARE_HOME/commons-digester.jar:$AWARE_HOME/commons-collections.jar:$AWARE_HOME/commons-beanutils.jar:$AWARE_HOME/itext-0.96.jar:$AWARE_HOME/log4j-1.2.8.jar:$AWARE_HOME/regexp.jar:$AWARE_HOME/jakarta-poi-1.5.1.jar:$AWARE_HOME/commons-logging.jar:$AWARE_HOME/jhall.jar:$AWARE_HOME/looks-1.3.1.jar:../docs/help.jar:$AWARE_HOME/awareim.jar"}

java -cp $CLASSPATH com.bas.uiconfiguration.Application

(Really) finally -- thanks for taking action on this critical issue. We consider it a show stopper for us.
Which one of the issues is a show stopper?
Aware IM Support Team
Tom Morrison

show stopper

Post by Tom Morrison »

We believe we need to be able to gracefully start and stop a daemon process. What we're faced with now with Mac OS X Server is having a user logged into the Server at all times due to the requirement for the Configuration Tool to be running. We consider this highly undesireable, as this is a multipurpose server and we don't want to be stumbling over one another as we share the system -- or have someone inadvertantly stop an application, such as Configuration Tool, that impacts other users.

With what you've passed along, we can likely create a standard practice outlining how to start and stop AwareIM and the Configuration Tool.

I hope this is clear. If not, we may want to talk by phone.

Thanks,
Tom
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Why do you need the Confuguration Tool to be running at all times? Once you have configured your application you do not need to have the Configuration Tool running at all.

When you do want to make changes to the application you can run the Configuration Tool from a separate machine if you don't want to log into your server. The Configuration Tool running on a separate machine within your LAN will talk to your Mac OS X server. You will need to download the standalone version of the Configuration Tool from our web site.
Aware IM Support Team
Tom Morrison

duh...

Post by Tom Morrison »

OK -- I've once again mis-stated what I wanted to convey.

It's the AwareIM Control Panel that I do not want to have running at all times. Having it up and running requires me to be logged into the Mac OS X Server.

I apologize (again) for mis-stating my concern.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

I understand. However, if you run the startAwareIMNoGUI.sh script you do not get any UI at all - no Control Panel etc. Aware IM server and all the required components (Tomcat and JBoss) just start in the background and that's it. So if you include this script into some Mac OS X start up script it will be essentially equivalent to the daemon.
Aware IM Support Team
Tom Morrison

will try

Post by Tom Morrison »

OK -- so I seem to recall trying this and then when I wanted to start up the Control Panel in order to run the Configuration Tool, I got into trouble in some fashion.

I'll try setting up the Configuration Tool on my client Mac and see if I can do what I want on the server.

Thanks.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Tom,

you don't need to start the Control Panel after you started the startAwareIMNoGUI.sh script.

To run the Configuration Tool you need to start the ClientStarter.sh script (the version of it that I included in the reply above).
Aware IM Support Team