Using environment variables

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
albertdeboer

Using environment variables

Post by albertdeboer »

I've trying to expand my application in Aware IM, and therefore I like to use local information of the logged on client system. This information is available in Windows environment variables (such as COMPUTERNAME and USERDOMAIN).

Is it possible to read client environment variables in the web application and use it in queries or other parts of the web application.
Or is it possible to send client environment variables with the logon url to the web application and use this in the web application.

Kind regards
Albert de Boer
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

This is possible but not easy. It is not too hard on the server - just use a Java plug-in to read system variables, but it is harder on the client in the browser. You will need to write a custom page that would use an ActiveX control to read system variables. Then you need to transfer this into some business object on the server (SystemSettings, for example). So you need to use the Aware IM AJAX interface to get the instance of the SystemSettings and update it with the values of system variables. Then you can use these values in rules, queries etc.
Aware IM Support Team