Maintenance and upgrades of Deployed Run time apps

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Celtic

Maintenance and upgrades of Deployed Run time apps

Post by Celtic »

Hi,

not sure if this has been answered elsewhere, but if so please let me know the link.

If you have the developer edtn and deploy apps onto client sites, I am wondering how best to:

1. Maintain and add enhancements (functionlaity, new objects, attributes etc) to run time apps deployed at client sites on an ongoing basis.

2. fix bugs (my own or AWAREIM)

3. Upgrade to future versions of AWAREIM

4. IS it just a case of uploading the new bsv at the client site?

5. If you use MSSQL do you need to update the tables yourself at the backend or does AWAREIM take care of the through the uploading of the bsv at the client site

any thoughts and experiences will help as it may be that I need to deploy apps to client sites and be able to easily maintain and support.

much thanks

Simon.
tford

Post by tford »

Are you asking about deploying run time versions at your client locations or purchasing AwareIM server licenses for your client locations?
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

i would have the Developer edition and then use the runtime builder to delpy run time only apps to the client site.

hope clear!
tford

Post by tford »

Sorry about that. I see now that was in the subject line.

I'll defer to support to answer this as my experience with run time version is limited.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

1. Just send the client the new BSV and ask him to put it in a special directory - Aware IM will automatically pick it up from this directory
2. Your own bugs - see 1. Aware IM bugs - you need to update your own Aware IM version and then rebuild the exe for the client and send the exe to the client
3. Same as Aware IM bugs
4. Already answered
5. Aware IM will update all tables automatically - you need not and should not worry about database tables
Aware IM Support Team
technopak

Post by technopak »

Hi,

I've an interest in Celtic's enquiry too and would be glad of some further expansion on Support's reply no 1.

Can you explain a bit more about this ?

Is it documented somewhere ?

Thanks,

Peter
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

If you make changes to your configuration but the Aware IM version has not been changed, then rather than rebuilding the entire exe file and giving the client 80Mb you can just give them the new version of your BSV file (you can still rebuild the exe and give it to them if you want).

You give them the BSV file and the following instructions:
1. Shutdown Aware IM
2. Copy the attached BSV file to the AwareIM/AUTO_DEPLOYMENT directory
3. Re-start Aware IM

That's all they have to do. Aware IM will automatically pick up the file, deploy the new version and update database tables accordingly.
Aware IM Support Team
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

thanks for response,

if AWARE has a program bug and you have to rebuild the exe to resolve it, pls can you advise a bit more on this?

what will happen to exisitng client install? will need to uninstalled?

what will happen to exisitng database that has been installed and exisitng data?

thanks
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

In this case you build the exe and give it to the client. The client installs the exe on top of the existing installation (he doesn't need to uninstall). His database and data will not be affected.
Aware IM Support Team