basic search and create workflow

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Celtic

basic search and create workflow

Post by Celtic »

Hi

I am get to grips with Processes and queries..well sort of

I’m trying to implement a Client search and then create workflow, basically I pushing the end user down a structured search and create route when creating new instances of my CLIENT object

The following steps needed to implement the process

1. Search for existing clients based on the query “Client Search” which has run time parameters on forename etc. (Pick From “Client Search”)

2. Then if there records are returned and the user selects an existing record then the process ends (not sure how to end this process as cancel will be no good)

3. If there are no suitable records listed or there is null return then user will have a Message prompt to ask if they want to create a new CLIENT (not sure how to handle this bit!)

4. Screen opens to create some basic details and then displays a message for the details created.. (ENTER NEW Client Using InputScreen DISPLAY MESSAGE '<<Client.ClientName>> has been now created. Reference Number <<Client.ClientID>>'

5. Then another Message Prompt asking of user wants to input more information or finish (DISPLAY QUESTION 'Do you want to update the main client details?')
6. If they do then will click Yes (If Question.Reply='Yes' Then EDIT Client USING Main)

I’m partly there but it’s the initial few steps which has got me stuck!

Any thoughts or advice much appreciated as maybe i'm going overkill on this..

Cheers

Simon.
tford

Post by tford »

Hi Simon,

I would break your steps into at least 2 processes. Steps 1-3 in 1 process and Steps 4-6 in a second process. That will solve your question in #2 about how to end the process. It will end with a display of the query on the screen for the user.

re: #3 -- in build 1187, there is a new Action called SEARCH_COUNT. You could use that to identify when there is a null return & ask the user if they want to create a new client.

re: #3 -- when the user does not find a "suitable" Client: Your "Client Search" query could have an Operation that runs a process to create a new customer (your steps 4+). On this Operation, make it "Below the list" and uncheck "Applicable to multiple items". This Operation will then function like a menu option. The Clients shows on the Query will have no bearing on the process run from this operation.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Thanks again Tom,

Almost there on this!!

Have had a go and have added an operation called ‘Create Client’ to the query ‘Client Search’ to give the user the option of creating a new client if they don’t see a client already on the system.

BUT

when I action the query ‘Client Search’ as part of a process using (Pick From ‘Client Search’ EDIT Client) the operation called ‘Create Client’ is missing, but when I use the query outside of the process the operation is there?

Any thoughts? Something wrong perhaps with how the action that uses the query is constructed, as part of the process?

many thanks

(Build 1166)
tford

Post by tford »

Sorry Simon. I missed the PICK FROM part.

You will have to use a traditional query an Operation beside each line that triggers the EDIT in another process. Or the process option could be put below the list so that you have to choose the Client.

PS -- not sure if there are difference between 1166 and the current build 1187 in the handling of queries / processes.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

sorry Tom.

you've completely lost me there! could you do it dummies style?! :D

thanks
tford

Post by tford »

Operations will not appear when using PICK FROM. To get the Operations to appear, you will have to use DISPLAY action to show the query.

When using the DISPLAY action, you will have to have operations that start the process to Edit the Client.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

yep sorted that all good, cheers tom!