Fill out pdf form

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
mflynn

Fill out pdf form

Post by mflynn »

Has filled out a pdf form with data from a BO?

I'm guessing I'll have to create as report that generates a fdf file and them merge it with the pdf.

Any ideas?

Thanks
alahser

Post by alahser »

My approach sounds like your idea. Here is what I do:

1.) Open the form, fill it out with dummy data. For example, I type "Contact.FirstName"(or whatever the name of the corresponding AwareIM field) in the name field. Sometimes there is data validation (for example, data fields), which means that I have to keep track of that data separately.

2.) I select menu "Advanced > Forms > Export Data From Form " (Adobe version 7). This gives an XML file.

3.) Now I have an XML file, which I turn into a AwareIM document template by just adding markup (usually just the << and >> around the field names). I import this XML file into AwareIM as a new document template of type HTML file. (TXT document templates might work too).

4.) Tricking things so far: Fields with validation. Parts of PDFs that have variable number of rows. Formating date fields to import correctly.

5.) Now, when I need to fill the original pdf form, I select the document template in AwareIM, which creates the XML file with the data. Then I manually open the form in Adobe and merge in the XML file by selecting "Advanced > Forms > Import Data to Form"

This works well enough for me. I'd like to take this a step further and find some type of command line option that would automatically merge the form and XML file and write the result to disk or DB. But, I have not had time. Mostly, I am concerned about properly filling out forms without data entry errors.

I hope this helps you.

Andrew
Andrew Lahser
mflynn

Post by mflynn »

Thanks, Andrew.

My situation calls for filling out a few hundred forms at a time. PHP and Ruby on Rails have better tools for working with pdf forms. I'm going to try building something in RoR that reads from the same database. Then I can call it from within the AwareIM application, possibly saving the completed form back in a BO.

Mike
Dreamer

A possible alternative

Post by Dreamer »

Mie
Don't know if this will help but in a prior post support's answer 5b mentions the ability to create a plug in to fill in existing pdf forms. I don't know how to make the plug in but it peaked TFord's interested in this feature at the time.

see http://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic. ... report+pdf