Check Box Groups

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
thom

Check Box Groups

Post by thom »

I have seen in Aware how to do a radio button group, but I can figure out how to do a check box group.

It would be great if I could make this dynamic (i.e. have a control table where categories for the check box group are defined) and then have the group display this list of values a checkbox where multiple values can be selected.

thanks
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

You need to represent each checkbox as a separate attribute.
Aware IM Support Team
thom

Post by thom »

Support,

Thanks for the response - not the one I was looking for, but can appreciate the larger structure that Aware offers.

Although I would wish for a dynamic check box group, I would be happy with something other than creating 12 - 15 separate category attributes for each installation. I would prefer the cleaner data model over the functionality, but in the end, its the functionality that wins the day.

I am not yet well versed enough in Java or any JS framework elements that I see how to do this on the quick, but it looks like the EXTJS offers some base functionality for grouped check boxes (http://extjs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28096 )

is there a way to bring this into my installation?

thanks in advance for any thoughts. [/url]
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

It is not the UI that is a problem - it is the underlying model.

Conceptually a group of checkboxes represents either several independent attributes or a single attribute with multiple values.

So if we are talking about an attribute with multiple values, Aware IM only supports a reference attribute where you can check "multiple allowed". If you like you can model your checkboxes exactly like this - every checkbox will represent a reference value for some attribute. Aware IM does not support multiple values for other types of attributes - for example, strings. If you want this you need to concatenate the strings with some separator.

The above is possible (both for strings and references) - but you will need to implement a custom form with some Javascripting to achieve this at the moment.
Aware IM Support Team
thom

Post by thom »

It is starting to make a some sense. Thanks again
jclark58

Post by jclark58 »

Hi has anybody made any progress with this either as an AwareIM implementation or as a custom form?
I have just been presented with a form to implement which is a page of checkboxes that are multiple selects from 3 database tables ie 3 groups of references.
/John
tford

Post by tford »

John,

It's possible to do this by:

1) Create 3 BOs that will be references. Each of these will have multiple Yes / No attributes (or other types of attributes, of course).

2) Create 3 reference attributes in BO I will call Master. Each of these references will be associated with a BO from #1 above and will act as a type of group on the Master form.

3) On the Master form, the Display Method of the references from #2 above will be "Use Form". You will also click "Allow inline editing".

4) You will need to create the reference records using a process like:

CREATE Master
CREATE CheckA WITH CheckA.Master=Master
CREATE CheckB WITH CheckB.Master=Master
CREATE CheckC WITH CheckC.Master=Master
VIEW Master
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
jclark58

Post by jclark58 »

Thanks Tom,

I was hoping to achieve this without any code so that the client can add and remove values as they need. The way you suggest looks like there would be a fixed number of entries with code for each checkbox. Is that correct?

At this point I am planning to implement it as a multi select combo fully expanded so that the user can Ctrl click to select multiple values. Some users will have an issue with this and the client would of course prefer it to look as specified.

A useful improvement to this would maybe to modify the way the combo box works so that a checkbox optionally appears to the left of each value.
/John
tford

Post by tford »

John,
The way you suggest looks like there would be a fixed number of entries with code for each checkbox. Is that correct?
Yes
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres