Need a kick in the right direction

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
khaled

Need a kick in the right direction

Post by khaled »

Hi All,

I have several Project Managers which all need to use the 'Manager' visual perspective.

What I am trying to achieve is - since each project manager will need to manage a project each I would want to be able to assign a specific project to a manager and block him/her out of the rest of the projects being worked on by other managers. Can anyone suggest how to go about doing this? I just need a kickstart in the right direction.
tford

Post by tford »

READ PROTECT should easily do what you are talking about.

Tom
khaled

Post by khaled »

tford wrote:READ PROTECT should easily do what you are talking about.

Tom
Thanks. I don't supposed you can be a tad more detailed..
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi,

Just make the Projects bi-directional references of the Manager BO and the reference list for each manager will only include their own projects. If you need to limit queries or drop-down lists for a manager throughout your application just use Project=LoggedInManager.Project or Project IN LoggedInManager.Project if multiple projects can be assigned to various managers.

Cheers,
Pete
tford

Post by tford »

You can also see these posts for more explanation of READ PROTECT:

http://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1806

http://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1842

Tom
khaled

Post by khaled »

Hi All,

Thanks for all your help. As all your suggestions make sense to me I don't see how I can utilise these methods to work as I intend.

I should have explained in more detail in my first post. What I am trying to achieve is:

My Project Managers will have access to all business objects and enter/read data. I want to be able to to create a new project and assign it to one or more Managers. I want to also be able to assign more than one project to my Managers. Ideally I would have a right panel displaying all of the Projects assigned to a logged in Manager where he/she can click a button to "log in" or "set focus" to that project.

So basically, once a Manager logs in or "focuses" into Project A, he/she can go ahead and start entering data into Object A and Object B. Once the Manager finishes the data entry for Project A, the Manager will then be able to "log in" or "set focus" to Project B and enter the data into Object A and Object B. I want to also be able to unassign Project A from Manager A and reassign Project A Manager B.

I don't want the data of Project A to be seen when logged into Project B and vice versa.

Many thanks in advance.
tford

Post by tford »

khaled,

You can store a manager's focus project in an attribute like RegularUser.FocusProject. That FocusProject can then be used in the READ PROTECT rule.

On idea for selecting and displaying the manager's focus project:
1) Create a Custom Presentation with a list of that manager's potential projects & place it in the right panel
2) Make the project names in #1 clickable with a hyperlink.
3) hyperlink in #2 will execute a process which takes the project name as a process input.
4) The process will set RegularUser.FocusProject to the selected project & execute a DISPLAY PERSPECTIVE possibly names Manager Focus Project.

Tom
tford

Post by tford »

khaled,

I forgot to mention that in the Custom Presentation list of projects, you can set a conditional format so that the project that is the current focus can show up with a different format than the others on the list -- for example underlined & bold.

Tom
khaled

Post by khaled »

tford wrote:khaled,

khaled,

You can store a manager's focus project in an attribute like RegularUser.FocusProject. That FocusProject can then be used in the READ PROTECT rule.

On idea for selecting and displaying the manager's focus project:
1) Create a Custom Presentation with a list of that manager's potential projects & place it in the right panel
2) Make the project names in #1 clickable with a hyperlink.
3) hyperlink in #2 will execute a process which takes the project name as a process input.
4) The process will set RegularUser.FocusProject to the selected project & execute a DISPLAY PERSPECTIVE possibly names Manager Focus Project.

Tom
Thank you Tom - your posts were very helpful indeed. I don't suppose you can create a quick and simple sample app to demonstrate the use of this and send me the BSV? Nevermind if it's too much trouble.
tford

Post by tford »

Sorry I don't really have time at the moment. Maybe in a couple of days if you still need it.

Tom
khaled

Post by khaled »

tford wrote:Sorry I don't really have time at the moment. Maybe in a couple of days if you still need it.

Tom
Sorry buddy I didn't mean right away. Anytime you're able to is very much appreciated and will be of great assistance to me.