Brainstorming request re. IM

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
pbrad

Brainstorming request re. IM

Post by pbrad »

Hi,

I have a request from a client to add instant messaging capabilities to their application so that logged in users can send short messages to each other. Off the top of my head I can't think of any built in functionality but I was toying with the idea of using a separate business space to bounce the messages off of via web services. The issue then is whether the system can popup a dialog box on receipt of each message, or at least refresh a form or query with the new messages.

Does anyone have any prior experience or ideas about this?
Cheers,
Pete
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

How is instant messaging implemented internally?

Regarding automatic refresh. You need to write some custom Javascript to send AJAX XML requests to the Aware IM server in a timer. The request should query a business object representing an instant message and display a popup window when there is a new one.
Aware IM Support Team
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi,

Thanks for the response. They are currently using msn but mgmt wants to dissuade the use of msn as employees are using tool for non-business purposes.

What I envisage is a simple tool where users can pick from a list of 'logged in' users and choose to send them a short message. The message would then pop up on that users screen where they can choose to either close the message or reply to it.

I can handle all of the front end work but will need help with the ajax xml requests. Could you please email me a quote for the development of this work or a list of what you require from me to be able to quote me.

Thanks,
Pete

p.s. It would be nice if this new functionality also allowed for system administrators to be able to send out 'system messages' to all logged in users of a business space advising them of such things as imminent system rebooting etc... (Again, the front end for doing this would be simple if we had a new 'SEND_MESSAGE' function.)
christopherb

Post by christopherb »

pbrad,
We are currently working on something similar. I will keep you informed.
Cheers,

Christopher
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Hi

I came across this as was also looking for someway on how this can be implemented.

can you advise as to how far you managed to get or whether you have had to get AWare to do some work on this for you?

will be a really useful feature.

Thanks

Simon.
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi,

I never did hear back from Christopher. In the end I was concerned about the server load that this functionality may impose on the server and decided not to pursue it. I did receive a quotation from Support and it was quite reasonable so if you wanted to pursue it, you might want to touch base with them.

My client ended up using a third party solution called Outlook Messenger which is not integrated into AwareIM but did allow them to restrict non-business IM use.

Cheers,
Pete