Where is ConfigTool.exe?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
harmonytech

Where is ConfigTool.exe?

Post by harmonytech »

Hi there,

I am an IT Contractor and have been working with AwareIM for approximately a month. A good client of mine started to develop himself an application for his business and eventually wanted to get it all off his laptop and have it running on a dedicated server.

The current installation is running on a Linux server on his LAN in his business. AwareIM starts up fine with no errors.

Where we get stuck is, how do we now develop further on it?

I have been reading the forums for the entire 4 weeks I have been working with my client to get his application to the stage where it can be migrated over to the server. The issue now is, AwareIM is running on the server, you can access it successfully. But, how do you develop on it from a Windows client computer?

From my understanding, the instruction guide states that you just simply open your ConfigTool.exe and off you go.

I wish it were that easy.... Or are we two stupid men who can't find what the manual states? We have searched for ConfigTool.exe on the local client machine where he had AwareIM running as a server. Not there, I have looked on the new Linux server. Not there. I have googled and looked online as well as on AwareIM's site. I can't find it.

We did notice that when we reinstalled AwareIM on his client computer, it gave u an option for the database we wanted to use. I chose MySQL and told the installation program what the server name, username and password is. Great! It accepts it and continues installing.

When it's done we go to start AwareIM, which appears to start the server on the client machine, then tells us that we have X days left for the evaluation version. I assume this is because there are now two server instances running, one on the actual server (legitimate) and the one running on the client machine which shouldn't be running, but that is the only executable application we can see.

I hope someone could shed some light on what I am missing here. My customer is anxious to get this working and I'm anxious for the same reasons.

Thank you in advance,
Steve
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

All you have to do is download a free version of the standalone Configuration Tool from our web site (Downloads page).

Then install it on your client machine. During the installation it will ask you to provide the network name of the machine where Aware IM Server is running. Note that the client and server machine have to be on the same LAN behind the firewall.
Aware IM Support Team
harmonytech

Post by harmonytech »

Thanks for your help. For the life of me, I could not find that download.

I forwarded on to my client and they rang me to walk through it over the phone.

Not sure how they went but it sounded positive and I'll find out the result on Monday.

Cheers
Steve
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

It's 4th link from the top on this page:
http://www.awareim.com/downloads.html
Aware IM Support Team