Live Info Display and Notifications

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
hth

Live Info Display and Notifications

Post by hth »

Hi.

We are about to download the trial version of Aware-IM to see if it will meet our needs and I have a couple of questions...

Can the page data be refreshed frequently / pushed without refreshing the whole page so as to provide an almost real-time information display <= second updates?

Can a user be notified of an event? ie. Can we play a sound and/or pop a window if an event happens (triggered from a remote Web Services application)?

Many thanks,

Jason
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Yes, you can do this, but you need to do some AJAX and/or HTML programming. Aware IM exposes XML interface (see Programmer's Guide) that can be used with AJAX. With this interface you have complete flexibility on the client side - you can develop custom pages that will refresh as often as you like and pick up any events on the server (that can be triggered by external web services or anything else).
Aware IM Support Team
hth

Post by hth »

Thanks for that. I knew that AJAX allowed you to update individual parts of a page, rather than the whole page, but wasn't sure if Aware IM had support for it.

Having read my original post, I see I omitted a "1" from the question of timing. I am looking to update the client <= 1 second (1000ms). Is this viable in a scenario where up to 10 users are connecting back to a hosted server via a (typical) 2Mb/512Kb ADSL circuit, using some form of security (PPTP VPN or SSL)? Is there a way of calculating the approximate typical bandwidth this type of intense refreshing will generate?

Whilst discussing updates... Can an update to a page trigger a new form to be opened? One of our (ideal) requirements is to pop a new form on connection of a telephone call. We can use Web Services to get the information from the telephony platform to Aware IM.

Our other option is to use the telephone systems own browser phone partner application. This requires the browser to call the relevant page, followed by some parameters which will populate some of the fields with the customers details. For example, http://theapplication/newbooking.htm?cli=01234567890 will populate the newbooking.htm with the details of the customer who wants to make a booking, saving the operator from entering it all manually.

So many questions. Sorry! :-)

Many thanks,

Jason
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Regarding 1 second updates. If you use AJAX to perform updates the bandwidth will be quite low. Server side is difficult to predict - it depends on the nature of your application. It is quite possible that 1 second updates with low bandwidth and 10 users will be perfectly fine.

With AJAX and XML interface to Aware IM you have full flexibility - you can pop-up a new page whenever you like, including after the page has been updated.

Calling URL of other applications is provided out-of-the-box via the URL channel (have a look at the Library sample application which communicates with PayPal via a URL).
Aware IM Support Team
hth

Post by hth »

The application is to be hosted, so it will be up to 10 users on each site updating their details. The server may have 500 users logged on at once. Is the server going to cope with this? Some sites may prefer to have their own server on-site, thereby eliminating this problem for them.

With regard to the URL issue,we want an external application to open a new part populated Aware IM window, not the other way round. I don't know if this is what you meant in your response.

Many thanks,

Jason
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

500 users shouldn't be a problem. Calling Aware IM from other applications shouldn't be a problem either.
Aware IM Support Team