Displaying OLE Object or Binary data tyoe from ext source

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
denisv

Displaying OLE Object or Binary data tyoe from ext source

Post by denisv »

Hi,

I have an external database that has signatures stored in MSAccess as OLE objects and in SQL as Binary. Is there a way when these esternal data sources are linked into Aware that the image can be shown.

At present on the form design it will add a Browse button to upload an image file and in report it is simply blank even though there are images in the database.

Thanks

Denis
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Currently it will always recognize these as binary data, not images.
Aware IM Support Team
denisv

Post by denisv »

So there is nothing can be done to include these ?

Is this likely to change ?
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

If data is represented as binary, there is no way for Aware IM to know that the data actually represents images. Maybe Aware IM could interpret OLE objects better, but not binary. There is no workaround for this at the moment other than writing a very special plug-in.
Aware IM Support Team
mraath

Post by mraath »

aware_support wrote:If data is represented as binary, there is no way for Aware IM to know that the data actually represents images. Maybe Aware IM could interpret OLE objects better, but not binary. There is no workaround for this at the moment other than writing a very special plug-in.
There are also problems with trying to copy binary data into a picture field in aware. I have tried to copy data from an external object(mysql database) using a process in aware, but each time i just get a memory problem. I read somewhere that the binary data would have to be converted to a text string, and then uploaded from a spreadsheet.
Can someone please explain how to do this, and what tool they use to do the conversion?
I have increased the startup memory for jboss and aware, but this does not work.(i added a gig of memory to each component and still get the java.lang.memory problem!
Best Regards
Marcus Raath
+27823009607
jclark58

Post by jclark58 »

Marcus

I see the java.lang.memory error in the log esp when using the Config tool and documents dont appear in operation mode as I expected.

Apart from adjusting the meory settings, try freeing up memory by removing other applications esp those that are known to be memory hogs -- ie any MS application (...joking - just). (I usually lose Outlook first,) Try a reboot and use AwareIM fresh and make sure you arent low on space on your Operating system hard disk.

Some combination of these usually works for me.

Also if you are using word docs or Rich Text format docs for reports, these things grow like topsy as you edit them esp if they have graphics in them. Try doing a Save As, Then under the tools tab Compress images (and remember to then import the saved file back into your Report). This method has resulted in 8MB files being converted to 40 or 50KB without losing any data.

John