Moving data from 1 Business Space to Another

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
tford

Moving data from 1 Business Space to Another

Post by tford »

I built an AwareIM application that has a significant amount of data input already. I am now thinking that I would like to include that data in a bigger application I will be building soon. The easy approach would be to just add the new functionality to the old bsv. However, I would like to chnage the name of the bsv to have it better reflect the new application.

Has anyone had that challenge? How did you handle it?

Thanks,
Tom
PEFS

Post by PEFS »

Hey Tom,

I have used the following utility (that I think someone else had suggested on this site) to move data from one DB to another. It works great!!!

http://www.dbqwiksync.com/

I have also exported the data from database and changed the headers to reflect my new business space (if the attributes changed names in the process).

I have also exported data to Excel pulled the data into Access and then created an export specification that reflected the new business space and exported the data to be picked up by Aware.

Hope some of this helps. I would love to hear other ideas on how best to move data from one BS to another.

Seems that there was talk at one time of being able to save and move data from one to another...not sure where that went.

Cheers

PEFS
PEFS

Post by PEFS »

Hey Tom,

One other note: DBQwikSync does not support Derby databases (currently). I use it mainly for MySQL and SQL Server. I do use the IBM Cloudscape Workbench for managing data in the Derby database. The utility does have an import (load) function that can be performed on each table. It also allows you to Export the data from each table. It's actually a pretty handy tool if you only work in Derby.

PEFS
tford

Post by tford »

PEFS,

Thanks for the pointers. I actually have DbQwikSync already -- just have not used it in quite a while. My DB is MySql do I should be good to go.

Thanks,
Tom