Super Slow Aware

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
christopherb

Super Slow Aware

Post by christopherb »

Wondering.........

I did a fresh install of Aware 3.0 on my development server running MySQL. What I am noticing is Aware is really really slow!!

Has anyone else run into this?

Christopher
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi,

It runs fine for me. Did you remember to copy your startupOptions.props file back into your bin folder?

Pete
christopherb

Post by christopherb »

Pbrad,
statupOptions.prop? I am not familiar with that file. After looking in my production server and m development server on my laptop neither have the file you referenced.

Could explain a little further on the file are talking about?

Thank you,
Chris
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi,

Aware IM Control Panel starts up the following components required for Aware IM: - JBoss application server - Tomcat server - Aware IM server - Configuration Tool When starting up these components the Control Panel uses default startup options. Normally you will not require changing these options. However, if you need to change the JVM and/or the initial startup properties of the JVM for each of these components, you can do so by

placing the special property file called "startupOptions.props" into the BIN directory of your Aware IM installation. The sample "startupOptions.props" file with the settings equivalent to the default settings is located in the samples directory of your Aware IM installation. For example, you can increase the memory allocated to different Aware IM components on startup. To do so add -Xmx96m after java in the corresponding line (where 96m is the amount of memory in Mb allocated to the component, you can increase this number further provided that your machine has enough memory). JBOSS_STARTUP=../JDK/bin/java -Xmx96m -Djboss.home.dir=../JBoss -classpath ../JDK/lib/tools.jar:../JBoss/bin/run.jar org.jboss.Main -c bas The above line will start the JBoss server and allocate 96Mb to the server on startup. (excerpt from installation guide)

1) Aware IM Server needs more memory if your application is large and handles complex tasks
2) Tomcat needs more memory if you have many concurrent users
3) JBoss usually does not need a lot of memory unless you exchange large chunks of data between the server and the client (for example, large images etc)

Cheers,
Pete
christopherb

Post by christopherb »

pbrad,
Just curious being that this a is new install on a server that is "fresh" with a sample business space for testing should it be this slow? Even without our prior post............

Chris
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi,

As a down and dirty quick check on what is happening, set your main logger to 'Log to Console' and 'Full'. Then view the console while you are using the application. If you are getting only a limited amount of activity and it is sluggish to respond it may be a server performance issue. If you are getting tons of activity that is running for an extended period of time it could be an AwareIM system issue or quite possibly a scripting problem with a rule or process.

The bottom line is that something must be causing the slowness so you are moving into a troubleshooting mode. I recently found a process that I have been running for months that ran in an endless loop because once it started to run, the conditions for it continuing to run existed until it timed out. By fixing this one process, I sped the system up in a big way. Is it possible that a process that was running fine under version 2.3 is bogging down in V3.0 for some reason?

When 'Support' comes online in a few hours, they will be the ones best suited to helping you figure out what is going on.

Best of luck with it,
Pete
jclark58

Post by jclark58 »

Entries like this are what I call "Pearls".

Useful bits of information that should be collected and saved somewhere they can be found.

Anybody think of a way we can achieve this - apart from rebuilding the Forums in AwareIM that is?

John

[quote="pbrad"]Hi,

Aware IM Control Panel starts up the following components required for Aware IM: - JBoss application server - Tomcat server - Aware IM server - Configuration Tool When starting up these components the Control Panel uses default startup options. Normally you will not require changing these options. However, if you need to change the JVM and/or the initial startup properties of the JVM for each of these components, you can do so by

placing the special property file called "startupOptions.props" into the BIN directory of your Aware IM installation. The sample "startupOptions.props" file with the settings equivalent to the default settings is located in the samples directory of your Aware IM installation. For example, you can increase the memory allocated to different Aware IM components on startup. To do so add -Xmx96m after java in the corresponding line (where 96m is the amount of memory in Mb allocated to the component, you can increase this number further provided that your machine has enough memory). JBOSS_STARTUP=../JDK/bin/java -Xmx96m -Djboss.home.dir=../JBoss -classpath ../JDK/lib/tools.jar:../JBoss/bin/run.jar org.jboss.Main -c bas The above line will start the JBoss server and allocate 96Mb to the server on startup. (excerpt from installation guide)

1) Aware IM Server needs more memory if your application is large and handles complex tasks
2) Tomcat needs more memory if you have many concurrent users
3) JBoss usually does not need a lot of memory unless you exchange large chunks of data between the server and the client (for example, large images etc)

Cheers,
Pete[/quote]
pkesch

How to increase memory for AwareIM server

Post by pkesch »

Hi,

in the posts and the documentation I read, that the following adoptions can be done:

extract from docu:

2.3.3 Changing startup options of the Aware IM components
Aware IM Control Panel starts up the following components required for Aware IM:
- JBoss application server
- Tomcat server
- Aware IM server
- Configuration Tool

Now I want to increase the memory for the AwareIM server, but in the sample props file there is no line for this!

I have a line for jBOSS, Tomcat and the configuration tool......

Could someone please post the line for the AwareIM server?
In a different post I read that the AwareIM server should be added more memory when it handles complex tasks.....

Thanks,
Peter
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi,

It is the startAwareIM.bat file in the AwareIM/bin folder.

Cheers,
Pete
pkesch

Post by pkesch »

Hi Pete,

thanks for the information. I changed the configuration and I am running now with a 500 500 500 MB set up (which was recommended in a similar post)

Now, the first screen comes up pretty fast. I have one BO with around 50 Elements which are distributed over 6 TABs. The BO has several lonks to other BOs.

The main issue I have is that only changing between tabs takes up to 4 seconds!!! (there is no network load)

scanario:

create a new Bo instance

The form appears

no data eneterd but switch between tabs

btw. of course it is not the first time, so generating forms is not the issue.

Any hints how I could tune?

The tabs with just a few fields (6-10) show up pretty fast. The ones with more fields (20+) are getting realy slow!

Best regards,
Peter
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Simple fields should be fast, but watch out for references. Some references can slow the form down, especially if you display a lot of them. Also watch out for references displayed as drop downs. If there are many instances to fill the drop down with, the system has to extract all of them from the database, so in this case you may want to display them as tables which will be faster
Aware IM Support Team
pkesch

Post by pkesch »

Hi support,

thanks for the information. Actually I am using references quite extensively. It's just because AwareIM handles them so nice
:wink:

I am also using drop downs as described.

Is there no way to tune the system in such cases? I mean if I have to redesign my application it will loose it's sexappeal.

And, what makes me wonder is the fact that the system is very slow even if I do not have any data filled in. I set up a virgin system without any data and it is very slow (as described before) to change between tabs.

If there is no way to tune I will make a redesign. Any tuning hints are more than welcome :?

Cheers,

Peter