Do We Want This - Default Setting Management?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
customaware

Do We Want This - Default Setting Management?

Post by customaware »

Imagine we had a Default Setting area in the Configurator where we could set the default for the configurator to use.

For example....

In the more recent versions we can set the Yes and No Values of a Yes/No Logical Attribute. So, change the default ON to YES and the Default OFF to NO.

But.... currently that needs to be done for EVERY Attribute manually.

Imagine being able to set that default somewhere in the Configurator! So every time you create a Yes/No Attribute... you Defaults will automatically apply if it is a Checkbox or a Switch, the ON to YES and the OFF to NO.

So... if we were able to get Support to look at implementing......Lets create a list of ALL the things we can think of to be able to set Defaults for.

Some I can think of off the top of my head....

Default Number Format
Default Fetch Records Settings
Default Button Alignment
Default Center Alignment
Default Label Column Width
Default Label Position

etc, etc

Need some thought also if these Defaults should be Configurator Wide in scope or Business Space Wide in Scope.

My Preference is to have a Configurator Wide Scope set of Defaults. Then, when you create a new BS, it will inherit the Configurator Wide set of Defaults and then you can change them just for that Business Space.

Please contribute your ideas and lets see if we can get this implemented. Would be a massive time saving improvement.
Cheers,
Mark
PointsWell

Re: Do We Want This - Default Setting Management?

Post by PointsWell »

Default Date/Timestamp = defer to locale
numberz

Post by numberz »

I'd like to add...

Do not ":" after label
Regards and thanks,
Harry Carter
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

Imagine being able to set that default somewhere in the Configurator! So every time you create a Yes/No Attribute... you Defaults will automatically apply if it is a Checkbox or a Switch, the ON to YES and the OFF to NO.
What about having a configuration text file that can be edited with default settings of this nature. No UI work required, just a simple config file containing default parament values
Do not ":" after label
This is already there
numberz

Post by numberz »

I'm referring to "application wide"...ONE time.
Where is this setting if it exists please?
Regards and thanks,
Harry Carter
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

I'm referring to "application wide"...ONE time.
Where is this setting if it exists please?
Apologies, I lost sight of the subject matter :)
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

And these defaults should have default presentation values. Esp for Yes/No where I want colored, stylized check boxes, Number alignment, etc.

However, remembering my many years with Magic, perhaps what would work best is to have a "Styles" table and then be able to base BO attributes on a specific style. Example. Integer #s would have small width, a different picture than money.

Can I also suggest an UPPER CASE option for text fields?

Bruce
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Most of what you are asking for is already available in FORM STYLES - this is the preferred solution for this.
Button alignment, "fetch" for combo boxes, centre alignment, label position, label width are already available there.

Form styles (and grid styles) are global in the system and are not specific to a business space.

It does make sense to extend form styles to also have Yes/No defaults and colon in the label - we will add these to the TODO list.

I guess, the question is whether there are any global defaults that have nothing to do with forms or grids. Can you think of any?
Aware IM Support Team
ofmar99

Post by ofmar99 »

It is not a default form or grid; It is adding to each attribute when created the first time in de BS an option to be used as a default presentation each time it is created in any new BO this way if you recreate a Picture attribute in the first BO any other time you create it will be presented the same you don't need the whole form.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Yes, and you achieve this by a form style - you create the one you want and use it. A form is initialized with this style, which is like setting some global defaults. Then you can change it if necessary for each individual form. Otherwise, form and grid styles are pointless.

Code: Select all

And these defaults should have default presentation values. Esp for Yes/No where I want colored, stylized check boxes, Number alignment, etc.
These are also available in a form style ("presentation rules" button)

Some truly global defaults I can think of are:
(the first 3 are not form-style based because they affect the database structure.

1) Date format (including "take from locale")
2) Timestamp format (including "take from locale")
3) Number format
4) Standard margins of a content panel in a visual perspective (currently there is no control for this at all)
5) Which pane to ALWAYS show first  - in rules (Standard View vs Textual View), in objects (Attributes or Forms) and in queries (Standard View vs Textual View)
6) REPORT ERROR styling (size, font size, title)?
7) Color theme of the Configuration Tool (future)

Can you think of anything else?
Aware IM Support Team
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

I must be missing something. I thought this thread was asking for global styles that can be applied to attributes, I see that the response is to use Form Styles. I am having a disconnect. How can this affect the format / min-max, presentation style of specific attributes.

Bruce
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Attribute presentation (not format as explained above) is already available in Form Styles - take a look at them.
Aware IM Support Team
customaware

Post by customaware »

My intent was not anything to do with Form Styles or Grid Styles.

I envisaged a Global repository for Attribute settings that would be inherited for any new BS and then could be modified for that BS.

Would not want to create a Form Style just so as to have a constant setting for on Attribute setting.
Last edited by customaware on Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Mark
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

Mark, I agree,

I am not sure everyone else "gets" it. But having user defined styles that control much more than the presentation that can be inherited by attributes would make initial development run faster and allow more standardization. For me I would like the following

Display Format
Input Format (Either RegEx or picture for input requiring characters and/or numbers)
Input automatic focus out when field is filled (optional)
Upper / Lower case conversion
Icon display. (how many times do you have yes/no attributes where you want the yes to be a green checkbox and the no to be mmm.errr. something else and you have to create two presentation rules for EVERY attribute, having a style would make that much faster.
Storage (why are some integers BIGINTs and some INTS and some floats?)

and there are probably more.

Bruce
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

I still don't understand why you cannot use form styles - your presentation rules are already supported there and so is button alignment, center alignment etc, If these are taken out of form styles, what's the point of having form styles in the first place?
Just define a style, set it as default and there you go.
Aware IM Support Team