Do We Want This - Default Setting Management?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Jhstephenson

Re: Do We Want This - Default Setting Management?

Post by Jhstephenson »

I think it would be great to have the ability to change some of the default setting.

The default setting for Yes/No attributes, right now is On/Off-not ‘Yes/No’. Everytime I create a Yes/No attribute I have to go in and change the Widget setting to ‘Switch’ (Yes, I know that can be set in the Style) and then change the ‘Yes’ string to ‘Yes’ and the ‘No’ string to ‘No’. Having access to something where I could set the default would be really helpful.

It would also be nice to be able to change the Default Icon and its color for each operation that might be used on either ‘Operations with Records’ or ‘Panel Operations’

I hear a lot about how great Grid and Form Styles are. I really want to believe that, but I keep running into issues that make using them less than practical.

A couple of examples:

1. When defining a Grid I want to have Edit and Delete buttons on each row. No Problem. I define an Edit operation, but I only want someone defined as an Admin to add new records. I click on the Elipsis next to the Applicable setting. I start to type ‘L’ (intending to enter LoggedInRegularUser.Access=’Admin’), but I immediately get an “Internal Error” message and cannot type anything else. The details just say ‘java.lang.NullPointerException’.

2. Panel Operations - I want to add an Operation to Add New Records. On a ‘normal’ grid I can add an operation to add a new record and select a type of ‘Create Object’. The only type available on a Grid Style is ‘Add New Record (inline editing)’.

3. I want my Query rows to be thinner. I have a CSS Class defined called ‘thinrows’. No place to put that on the Grid Style Properties. So I have to change it after I apply the style.

The examples I have given would be used to create a style for the dozens of ‘Master Files’ that I might have in an app. On a limited basis each one does not take that much time to add to a query. But if I am doing each of these for every query that I might create it will end up taking almost as much time as to just manually make those changes when I create each query.

I like the potential time savings of using styles and maybe more importantly the standarization it would give to queries for things like master files.
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

great list Jim.
w.r.t Yes/No fields: its almost mandatory to have EITHER yes or no (not null) in these fields. Its an unnecessary step to manually have to assign Yes or No to these when it could be a system-wide default.

and this isn't an issue to be handled with a Form default... its at the table level.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
Jaymer

new Config tool function

Post by Jaymer »

I still want (after 2 years now) a Combo Box in the eclipse too for Recent Objects.

Many times, you can have (for example) 1 VP, 1 BO, 1 Grid, 3 Processes open and you need to Test and then Publish.
Once you see it with live data you need to edit those very objects you just had open, and might still be on the screen, but they are from the CURRENT VERSION and not editable.

So you have to wade through a long Processes menu and folders to restore where you were just a minute or so before.
A simple RECENTS COMBO BOX (up there by where none of us use the Grid & Form Style combo) would be EASY and efficient.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Jhstephenson

Post by Jhstephenson »

One other thing that I have always wanted was that when I create a new BO, right now it autogenerates the Main form for us. That is great. I wish it would also generate a default query for that BO, with every attribute in the BO defined.

I could then go in and take out any attributes not needed, and make it more presentable; but the main boring work would have already been done.

I'm still hoping for a data dictionary too. :D
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

Jhstephenson wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:40 pm One other thing that I have always wanted was that when I create a new BO, right now it autogenerates the Main form for us. That is great. I wish it would also generate a default query for that BO, with every attribute in the BO defined.
Yes, just a generation of the grid would be great.
But pair that with all the other customizations/defaults from this thread, so in my case, it would have the icon turned off, collapsible turned off, plus custom header and row operations, buttons on left. Nice! Saves that drudgery every time.

Jaymer
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Code: Select all

The default setting for Yes/No attributes, right now is On/Off-not ‘Yes/No’. Everytime I create a Yes/No attribute I have to go in and change the Widget setting to ‘Switch’ (Yes, I know that can be set in the Style) and then change the ‘Yes’ string to ‘Yes’ and the ‘No’ string to ‘No’. Having access to something where I could set the default would be really helpful.
Yes/No string support will be added to form styles in the next version

It would also be nice to be able to change the Default Icon and its color for each operation that might be used on either ‘Operations with Records’ or ‘Panel Operations’
We'll add it to the TODO list

1. When defining a Grid I want to have Edit and Delete buttons on each row. No Problem. I define an Edit operation, but I only want someone defined as an Admin to add new records. I click on the Elipsis next to the Applicable setting. I start to type ‘L’ (intending to enter LoggedInRegularUser.Access=’Admin’), but I immediately get an “Internal Error” message and cannot type anything else. The details just say ‘java.lang.NullPointerException’.
This will be fixed in the new version

2. Panel Operations - I want to add an Operation to Add New Records. On a ‘normal’ grid I can add an operation to add a new record and select a type of ‘Create Object’. The only type available on a Grid Style is ‘Add New Record (inline editing)’.
You cannot use "Create Object" in styles - styles are independent of business spaces and the Create Object operation needs to know the name of the object

3. I want my Query rows to be thinner. I have a CSS Class defined called ‘thinrows’. No place to put that on the Grid Style Properties. So I have to change it after I apply the style.
Support for CSS classes will be added to form and grid styles in the next version
Aware IM Support Team
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

I hear a lot about how great Grid and Form Styles are. I really want to believe that, but I keep running into issues that make using them less than practical.
They are even less practical when you already have forms designed, how do you revert to using Form styles without having to re-create the form from scratch.

What we need is a copy and paste functionality that let's a developer copy settings from a grid to another grid both for Query Grids and Reference Grids. This feature used to be available for queries in older versions but has been removed for some reason :shock:

Also being able to create a Form Style or Grid Style by copying settings from an existing Grid or Form would help. This would help me build a Style from an existing layout and then revert to using Styles
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

there is a disconnect on this thread between what users are asking for (defaults) and what @Support sees in "Form Styles"/"Grid Styles"

In Support's list above, 2 things are being handled/added to Form Styles (which none of us are asking for - at least I think thats correct, hence the 'disconnect')

Being able to, at the BSV level, specify a default for a Yes/No datatype (to make all new Yes/No datatypes default to "Yes" or "No") is the request...
and that has nothing to do with adding it to a Form (hence, Form Styles improvements do not address the request)

Some of us see where Mark was going with this thread.
Since it comes down to "we want less drudgery" or "we want more efficiency", perhaps a thread title should be "In a perfect world, specify AwareIM improvements that would make the Config Tool EASIER TO USE. The Config Tool has "settings" hardcoded in it that are the preference of its creator (ie. Vlad) that would not be the preference of XYZ developer. I think what some of us want is a way to alter those preferences.
Last edited by Jaymer on Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaymer
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

here's a minor one, but a real one for me.

I usually modify all my assignment statements to have a space on both sides of the =
instead of this current way
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 11.10.53 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 11.10.53 AM.png (86.67 KiB) Viewed 4730 times
i prefer this
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 11.11.25 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 11.11.25 AM.png (93.52 KiB) Viewed 4730 times
TO ME, it makes it more readable.
For several years I've wanted to ask for this. If you think about it, its a simple change in the code.

Jaymer
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Form/Grid styles are nothing else but NAMED GLOBAL SETS OF DEFAULTS - create as many as you like and apply them!

When people are saying they just need to copy and paste the settings - JUST APPLY THE STYLE. There is a button that applies an existing style to a form or grid. Why copy and paste???
Aware IM Support Team
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

When people are saying they just need to copy and paste the settings - JUST APPLY THE STYLE.
I am not sure how you would use a style if there is no style, the concept of copying from a form or a grid is to save you the time in having to create a style when you already have an existing complex form or grid in use
Why copy and paste???
…More to the Copy Settings aspect: This scenario CANNOT be managed by using styles:

Imagine having an existing reference on a form and the setup of the reference uses just about every feature of the reference, including Vertical Labels, Header Styles , Column Labels and “Hold if Condition Exist” etc etc
If I wanted to duplicate this reference on the SAME form under a different name with some minor setup changes, the only way is to start from scratch again and painstakingly work through the setup again. If there was a copy and paste settings feature, I could copy and paste the settings into the default reference setup on the object, and then insert the new duplicate reference object on the form.

In the older version there was a copy and paste feature on queries, but not on form reference grids. It would be nice to bring back the feature on queries grids with the added feature of not resetting the grid when the query object is changed.

:idea: More important though, is having the same feature on form reference grids