TRANSLATE function? Ideas?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
hpl123

TRANSLATE function? Ideas?

Post by hpl123 »

Hi all,
I have read on the forums about a TRANSLATE function but I find no documentation on this function (8.5, build 2830). Is anyone using this and can share description, parameters etc.?

Not sure it will work for my scenario which is this. I have a HTML div with some text that change depending on locale so for English it will be "Messages", for Danish "Beskeder" etc. and IDEALLY I would like to just add a string someplace which I can then translate in the different locale languages and then use a tag in the div to get the right translation based on locale. Is this possible today in Aware? Is this what TRANSLATE does?

Thanks
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
BobK

Re: TRANSLATE function? Ideas?

Post by BobK »

I do not use the TRANSLATE function, but this is how I find information about functions not described in the user guide:
In the config tool, start to create a new rule and press F4 to bring up the context help for functions. Scroll through the functions to find the one you are interested in and see if there is any details about it.

This is what I found for TRANSLATE:
Description: Translates the specified string to the locale of the current user if it is defined.
Parameters: attribute of Plain Text type or expression producing Plain Text representing a string.
Return: translated string. If no locale is defined the original string is returned.
Bob
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

Thanks Bob and sounds like something I can probably use if it's possible to add custom strings to the locale. I am almost certain I have read this is possible somewhere but can't find it after scowering the forums.
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

hpl123 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:35 pm Thanks Bob and sounds like something I can probably use if it's possible to add custom strings to the locale. I am almost certain I have read this is possible somewhere but can't find it after scowering the forums.
I also briefly investigated the use of TRANSLATE and found zero documentation on it. I played about with it and it does not appear to be very dynamic (I wanted to use it against reference data in my system) I managed to get it to set a value but could not get it to refresh it and there is every possibility that it was my rules error as it was a long time ago.

Vaguely remember using text strings from an attribute.

I asked Support for more information on it but the advice suggested that my intended use case was not going to work. That said it didn't give me much indication of what the intended use case for it was
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

PointsWell wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:50 pm
hpl123 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:35 pm Thanks Bob and sounds like something I can probably use if it's possible to add custom strings to the locale. I am almost certain I have read this is possible somewhere but can't find it after scowering the forums.
I also briefly investigated the use of TRANSLATE and found zero documentation on it. I played about with it and it does not appear to be very dynamic (I wanted to use it against reference data in my system) I managed to get it to set a value but could not get it to refresh it and there is every possibility that it was my rules error as it was a long time ago.

Vaguely remember using text strings from an attribute.

I asked Support for more information on it but the advice suggested that my intended use case was not going to work. That said it didn't give me much indication of what the intended use case for it was
Ok, doesn´t sound reassuring. I can do translations in attributes etc. but if it worked like above it would be a whole lot better and easier to manage.
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

hpl123 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:15 am Ok, doesn´t sound reassuring. I can do translations in attributes etc. but if it worked like above it would be a whole lot better and easier to manage.
Don't be out off, I wasn't brilliantly clear on how to to utilise it. Maybe reach out to support to see what the expected use case was when it was implemented.
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

PointsWell wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:21 am
hpl123 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:15 am Ok, doesn´t sound reassuring. I can do translations in attributes etc. but if it worked like above it would be a whole lot better and easier to manage.
Don't be out off, I wasn't brilliantly clear on how to to utilise it. Maybe reach out to support to see what the expected use case was when it was implemented.
Yeah, will do that. Thanks