Diff. between FIND 'QueryName' and DISPLAY 'queryName'

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
BLOMASKY

Diff. between FIND 'QueryName' and DISPLAY 'queryName'

Post by BLOMASKY »

So, every now and then I re-read the rules reference to see what shiny new features have been added, I see the following:

FIND 'Open accounts' this action will run a query named ‘Open accounts’.

How is this different from DISPLAY 'Open accounts'???

Bruce
yahya

Re: Diff. between FIND 'QueryName' and DISPLAY 'queryName'

Post by yahya »

FIND is followed with an action that being a rule/process based on the FIND query.
DISPLAY will just show the results of the query.
AwareIM Developer edition. Version 8.5 (Build 2827) running on Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

Or...

FIND executes the named query, and puts the results in context
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

ah ha! so FIND 'Query Name' does not display the results of the query. it just FINDS the records, puts them in Context with NO UI?

Bruce
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

BLOMASKY wrote:ah ha! so FIND 'Query Name' does not display the results of the query. it just FINDS the records, puts them in Context with NO UI?

Bruce
And DISPLAY query generally has to be the last item of your process if you are embedding the query into your VP/tab, otherwise it will appear in a pop up window.
BLOMASKY

Aware is so interesting, So many ways to accomplish Tasks

Post by BLOMASKY »

I do understand why there are many queries with WHERE clauses, but the way I develop, the ONLY time a query has a WHERE clause is when I have had a form prompting for filters prior to running the query. And since my queries always have an ORDER BY, I never think to use one instead of a FIND.

Not right or wrong, but compared to other tools, you can adjust your aware programming style to what works best for you.

Bruce
PointsWell

Re: Aware is so interesting, So many ways to accomplish Task

Post by PointsWell »

BLOMASKY wrote:, I never think to use one instead of a FIND.
If you only use that FIND once then it has no impact, but if you use that same FIND more than once then you reduce your code redundancy and remove the risk of updating the FIND in one place and forgetting to update the other by using a query
tford

Post by tford »

One small practical aspect .. now that Queries can be organized by Category in the Congif Tool, I try to group the ones that are only used in a FIND in category / categories by themselves.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres