End-User Importing

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Stetson

End-User Importing

Post by Stetson »

Is there a way to lock down all parts of an import template except for the name of the file to import so that an end-user could use the import template to specify a file to import but not be able to change any other import options? Or, is there a better way for an end-user to specify a local file for import so that I could then execute an Import action behind the scenes? Thanks.
Jaymer

Re: End-User Importing

Post by Jaymer »

Good Q
Was just discussing this w/Bruce today.
Sure seems like a place with room for improvement.

I just wrote import stuff for a client. But they are going to manually have to check the 3 checkboxes and specify a file.
Would be nice to streamline/foolproof that.

My automatic imports I do with the field spec in the 1st line.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
Stetson

Post by Stetson »

Thanks, Jaymer. Much appreciated.
tford

Post by tford »

Stetson,

Could you do something like this?

1- Create a new BO to use to hold a file the user uploads
2- When instances of the BO in #1 are created, export the attached file to a specified folder/file name on the server
3- Execute the IMPORT on the file stored in the server in #2 using pre-determined template.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
Stetson

Post by Stetson »

Thanks, tford. How would the user upload the file in step 1? And are you suggesting an attribute type of Binary? (or maybe document?)
tford

Post by tford »

A Document type file.
tford

Post by tford »

Assuming this post is related to your other post re: setting two attributes upon import:

If you use the import option I described above, a SystemSettings attribute could be set to indicate an IMPORT is in process so that no other user imports could be processed for a short time until that SystemSettings attribute is re-set at the end of the first user import.
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

If the Import command (that I can put into a process would have the option of my selecting the template and ONLY allowing the user to select the file, then life would be good for me. Ideally, It would have a dialog box (similar to the bottom of the import screen) where they can navigate folders and select the file to import.

Bruce
tford

Post by tford »

+1 ^^
Stetson

Post by Stetson »

I like your System Settings idea, tford. Thanks. I'll look into that.