Mobile forms and themes and design

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
hpl123

Re: Mobile forms and themes and design

Post by hpl123 »

hpl123 wrote:
hpl123 wrote:Support,
Here is error report and how to reproduce or did you try this? https://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11701

No matter what phone I try I get this problem. I will test the workarounds you have (the first one is new, the second one I am pretty sure I have tested and don´t work).
I have not added the suggested workarounds and very strange, the BSV I created and posted (link above) in June does NOT present the same issue now i.e everything works as it should now when I try it (and it didn´t a month ago). I have a new phone (but use the same browser) and/so not sure if that is the thing. This has been an issue for years so either something has changed somewhere or this new phone handles this in another way. I have had this issue on ALL Iphone and Android phones I have tested it on in the past.

Can someone else that experiences this issue try it? Rod? Someone else? I will also try some additional things to see if it really is working fully or just works for the sample BSV I posted.
Well, I am officially mindboggled. All works now also in a live app and the main app I had issues with and where I tinkered to the solution I wrote about above. Something has changed and I hope it´s permanent. Other experiencing this issue please confirm and I have no other phones ATTM I can try it on and/but I hope this is "global" and not just my new phone.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

i have 2 diff iphones, + android + iPad.
will try it
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

I'm just starting to tinker .... But before I do, I have just one question to ask if anyone knows the answer.

My App is a full blown back office admin system for gliding clubs with a number of VP's depending whether the member is part of the Office, finance or Operations team - or just a mere mortal member.

The mobile app I want to design is just a partial subset of what the desktop app can do - primarily for members to view certain things like their flying log books, their balances and let people know they are coming to fly.

So my question is - do I have to convert the entire app for mobile use or can I just recreate one VP as a mobile app. At the moment I have a VP optimised for phones but I'm finding that whilst it works well for iPhone users, not all Android phones are recognised as phones so the user gets the full blown desktop version. The technique I've been trying to use is by recognising the screen size - but with modern high res smartphone screens, that technique is not as reliable as it used to be.

I get round it by constructing a special url using the "mobile_platform=Phone" trick - but try trying to explain to a 65 year old glider pilot how to do that
Rocketman

V8.7 Developer Edition. Server 2016 Standard edition. MySql 5.5
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

rocketman wrote:I'm just starting to tinker .... But before I do, I have just one question to ask if anyone knows the answer.

My App is a full blown back office admin system for gliding clubs with a number of VP's depending whether the member is part of the Office, finance or Operations team - or just a mere mortal member.

The mobile app I want to design is just a partial subset of what the desktop app can do - primarily for members to view certain things like their flying log books, their balances and let people know they are coming to fly.

So my question is - do I have to convert the entire app for mobile use or can I just recreate one VP as a mobile app. At the moment I have a VP optimised for phones but I'm finding that whilst it works well for iPhone users, not all Android phones are recognised as phones so the user gets the full blown desktop version. The technique I've been trying to use is by recognising the screen size - but with modern high res smartphone screens, that technique is not as reliable as it used to be.

I get round it by constructing a special url using the "mobile_platform=Phone" trick - but try trying to explain to a 65 year old glider pilot how to do that
A couple of things / thoughts:
- Yes, you can/should create a separate VP for mobile and only include parts of your main app and one thing I did was to then build on it over time i.e start with essentials and keep adding features to the mobile VP.

- Yes, the current Aware resolution solution i.e recognising which device is used e.g desktop, mobile etc. is not working fully any longer and I have gotten around this in 2 different ways:
* Create 1 VP for mobiles and tablets and that works with the current Aware device recognition but means you have to make sure the app layout works fully on phones and tablets.
* Create a separate mobile login form which has the hidden mobile platform parameter in it which means you don´t have to add it to the url. Just add the following to your form code for the mobile login form:

Code: Select all

<input name="mobile_platform" type="hidden" value="Phone">
You can also then if you want create a non Aware login form "launcher" with some JS code in it that accurately determines platform and then redirects the user to the "right" logon form for them. This is fairly easy to do and works and means you will always have 1 URL only for all users to use when logging into your app and then the form/code under that URL then determine platform and redirects.

Happy tinkering :)
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

Jaymer wrote:i have 2 diff iphones, + android + iPad.
will try it
How did it go Jaymer, did you test this on your phones? We are still testing this (Rod, Vlad and myself) to try to find a solution and/but more tests is needed. I still get all working strangely enough from no additional changes i.e I have removed all my custom fixes and all works now :?: :shock: .
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

My tests on iPhone 7, iPad Pro, Android v8 w/Chrome were just fine.
I scrolled down to click into the last field.
A keyboard popped up, and the screen scrolled up.
After typing text, when the keyboard closed, the screen scrolled back down and seemed to be normal operation.

In the past, I HAD seen this odd behavior where the screen did NOT re-adjust after closing keyboard - but I tend to think it was with my "native" mobile app (which I can't rebuild because I haven't adjusted to the non-PGB method yet.)

And for some reason, I have this line in my startup.html from some prior fiddling:

Code: Select all

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL