Browser Push Notifications

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
ACDC

Browser Push Notifications

Post by ACDC »

Browser push notifications seem to be an ideal method of sending messages to Aim users who re not logged in
Also, it could serve as a more efficient way of general user notification

How can we implement this from inside AwareIM, It seems highly effective and is becoming more common every day

Is anybody doing this yet?

I have been caught once or twice inadvertently checking yes instead of no to permission to accept notifications, and then the bombardment ensues - they really are very effective and would be a very useful tool to use

BTW, I am referring to a built-in solution rather than going through a provider, eg https://www.w3.org/TR/push-api/
Jaymer

Re: Browser Push Notifications

Post by Jaymer »

I was feeling good until your last line where you said you didn’t want to use it third-party service.

Do you realize in the CRM example, that system uses a reminder badge in the upper right corner. Initially, this seems cool, except it’s not really push first of all, and the client, in some cases many hundreds of clients, are pounding the server every 10 seconds or so unnecessarily just to see if they have any new message.

In April 2018 at the US user conference, I asked this question because I wanted to send a notification to user that a new text message or email had arrived ( this was from a REST API callback, where some service provides a confirmation of a transaction ) . The answer of the time was to Display Message ASYNC, which sounded good at the time, until I got home from the conference and realized no that doesn’t allow you to send it to another user, only for process to display it on the current users terminal. In my case, the server was what was getting a callback, and it needed to notify the current logged in user that something had arrive (i.e. a push notification).

Seems like a wish list item for me, would be nice!
(Voice dictating, sorry for grammar)
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
ACDC

Re: Browser Push Notifications

Post by ACDC »

I was feeling good until your last line where you said you didn’t want to use it third-party service.
The problem with a third-party service, you cannot target an individual user, they are more suited to broadcasting a news flash to multiple subscribers. (at least that's what I understand)

Integrating something like (link provided) within AwareIM would be a very powerful feature of great substance.
I imagine the user subscribing to the notification service from within Aim so it knows where to push the unique notification/message to

I wonder if this is possible as a feature upgrade in a future release or will it have to go to a custom dev plugin or something. Maybe support could comment on this

here's the link again:
https://www.w3.org/TR/push-api/