What happened to Reduce / Extend Search Pop Up Display?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Jaymer

What happened to Reduce / Extend Search Pop Up Display?

Post by Jaymer »

Was there was specific reason it was removed?
Is it possible to bring it back?

EDIT: This is in an Aware v6 application
ANSWER: I think the answer to this is due to Kendo. From what I can tell from viewing an app using this (someone sent me a link), this was part of the grid control in Sencha. It was native to that grid. Kendo handles it in a different way, thus its not in v7 +
Last edited by Jaymer on Mon May 06, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
Markfre1

Re: What happened to Reduce / Extend Search Pop Up Display?

Post by Markfre1 »

I have one app running in an older version of AIM which has the option to reduce. It is invaluable. I create a set of tax data each month, for a couple of hundred clients. I run a query each month to look for an unusual variance. The reduce lets me instantly limit the transactions to whatever month I want, then I sort by variance. In a minute, I can visually eyeball this, and if one number looks off, I can just display the previous month for comparison. In reading this post, I looked in AIM the latest version and did not see this feature.

Maybe it's there but I could not find it. Very useful and if taken away, maybe it could be added back.

Mark F.
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

I bet there are a lot (well, thats very relative given the size of the user base on the forum) who don't know what the Reduce/Extend form is.
Since Kendo, I would think most are used to the filters on a grid - and if you didn't include a column in the grid, the end user can't search on it.
For this reason, extra columns have to be added "just in case" someone may want to search one day, reducing the size/width of possibly more important columns, and also just cluttering the grid.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
tford

Post by tford »

I run a query each month to look for an unusual variance. The reduce lets me instantly limit the transactions to whatever month I want, then I sort by variance. In a minute, I can visually eyeball this, and if one number looks off, I can just display the previous month for comparison.
I'm not addressing your reduce / extend question, Mark, but thought I'd share a similar variance analysis process I've used before. In my data record (let's call it Variance), I added few additional attributes:
1) ReviewCompleteTS (a timestamp of when the review of the variance was completed
2) ReviewUser (user who completed the review)
3) ReviewResult (Drop down with values like: Acceptable, Unacceptable, etc)

Then I had a query which sorted all Variance instances. The query can use a VarianceThreshold value that is stored in SystemSettings to determine which Variance records need to be displayed on the query & reviewed.

Users could click on a Review button to see more details or Accept button to mark the record with a timestamp that the variance is acceptable. That gives you a good trail of who reviewed each and every variance over the threshold.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
Markfre1

Post by Markfre1 »

Thanks Tom,

The way I use this is it only about when I reduce the query, and I see a variance, I click to see the detail. Its sales tax so I end up having to check the rates with the state websites to see if they changed.

When the app was first developed, the customers would never log in, never print the reports, and therefore really never got much in the way of signups.

What we do now is we set up the customer for a 3 month trial and automatically send then the reports. They actually see it, give it to their accountant, and after 3 months they don't want to go back and manually spend an hour calculating every store. Some have 40+ stores.

Some users you have to spoon fee but it throws off a nice monthly stream, so I don't mind spending 1/2 hour each month. But I don't want to touch the program at all. In fact I left in on an amazon server for 65 a month in an old version of AIM and just let it run. I bought another developer copy of aim just to avoid touching that program.

But I understand what you said, but either way for this app, I still need to look at the data each month and this is how I do it as its automatic. No coding. Thanks again.

Mark F