Native Mobile App on IOS 12 - Black Camera Screen

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
karelh

Native Mobile App on IOS 12 - Black Camera Screen

Post by karelh »

HI all

I have launched my first native mobile app and it seems to be working ok except for 1 problem. When the camera is accessed from my app it just shows a black screen so you cannot take any photos. You can still select a photo from the library. I did some searching and it seems to be related to permissions and changes to IOS 12. When you access the app through the browser then it works just fine.

Has anyone else seen this behavior and perhaps came across a solution yet?

Thanks in advance
Jaymer

Re: Native Mobile App on IOS 12 - Black Camera Screen

Post by Jaymer »

first of all, congrats!
tell us more.
how was your overall process getting to this point?
you signed up as an apple developer? how is that process?
how long does it take to publish a new version?

and second, I have no answer to your Q
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
karelh

Post by karelh »

Hey Jaymer

Thanks! It was quite a bit of work to get everything done...

1. You need to sign up as a developer. This takes a while when your are registering as an organization . They verify you through DNB and local authorities and then you do a phone discussion, pay them $100 and then only do you have an active account.

2. When you publish an app as "production" on the store they verify the app and code etc. so you need to give them a username and password to access the application. This can take a bit of time.

3. When you start creating the app you can sign it with a testing certificate and select up to 100 IOS devices to test your apps. The signing certificate is used within phonegap so once setup you can simply scan the QR in phonegap and install/update your app.(very convenient)

4. The biggest challenge was getting the app to display properly on a iPhone X device. You need to be very specific and create the exact splash screens for it to work. (When I have some time I will publish a How To on this forum)

IOS 12 made quite a bit of changes on how apps interact with the API and phone-gap also uses cordova for more of the configs.

Personally I think AwareIM can make some improvement and upgrades around the native mobile apps to integrate better with things like FaceID, biometrics etc.
karelh

Post by karelh »

Hey all,

After 3 days of troubleshooting and testing I finally got it working . I will post the solution on here soon.