POLL: Are you comfortable with Failure Rules?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Jaymer

POLL: Are you comfortable with Failure Rules?

Post by Jaymer »

... or is this another "mystery" area of Aware that you kinda skip around?
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
Rennur

Re: POLL: Are you comfortable with Failure Rules?

Post by Rennur »

I have failure rule set up in some processes just in case the process has been cancelled by the user.

One example would be in the area of user permissions where you have a 'Enable Editing' yes/no attribute controlled by process.

If the user has the permission to enable editing, then the process would set the checkbox to Yes, EDIT the form, and when you save and exit, the process changes it back to No.

The failure rule comes in handy if the the user cancels the form without saving, leaving the checkbox value as Yes. This will leave the form open to editing to users without permission. In this case, failure rule can be set up to change the value back to No.
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

In the other thread about Failure Rules, I put a
DISPLAY MESSAGE "Failed"
in Failure Rules. Then I ran that process and clicked the Close button on Step 5, which would not execute step 6.
But I didn't see the Failure message.
So I figured I was doing something wrong.

Just spent some more time on it.
I put 3 kinds of statements in Failure Rules after Step 5 - and I'm clicking the Close button on the Email - so it is NOT getting sent.
None of my statements executed.
And the logger doesn't show anything being executed.
No complaints in Output Windows either.

Basically I'm cancelling the form without saving, as you stated in your example.
But I seem to come to a dead stop, whereas you are executing more rules.

Still confused.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
UnionSystems

Post by UnionSystems »

We use Failure Rules to keep a history and also email us when a crucial process that should not have errors does fail.

We typically have a rule like

Code: Select all

CREATE ErrorLog WITH ErrorLog.ProcessName='some_process_name',ErrorLog.Detail=ProcessError.Message,ErrorLog.Occurred=CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,ErrorLog.ps_Officer=LoggedInOfficer 
We then have an Update Rule in the ErrorLog object that sends an email to us IF ErrorLog IS NEW
AWS Linux, Windows Server, AIM 8.4 & 8.6
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

Jaymer wrote:In the other thread about Failure Rules, I put a
DISPLAY MESSAGE "Failed"
in Failure Rules. Then I ran that process and clicked the Close button on Step 5, which would not execute step 6.
But I didn't see the Failure message.
So I figured I was doing something wrong.

Just spent some more time on it.
I put 3 kinds of statements in Failure Rules after Step 5 - and I'm clicking the Close button on the Email - so it is NOT getting sent.
None of my statements executed.
And the logger doesn't show anything being executed.
No complaints in Output Windows either.

Basically I'm cancelling the form without saving, as you stated in your example.
But I seem to come to a dead stop, whereas you are executing more rules.

Still confused.
From looking at your form (without a firm understanding of what you are trying to achieve) it seems that there is no REPORT ERROR happening at any point. Unless you terminate the process I don't think AIM is going to understand that this is a failure. Just closing the window is a valid route through the process, it's just not the one that you want to happen. What happens if you run a process after the Close It button which generates a REPORT ERROR thereby terminating the process (as distinct from it being semantically complete)

My understanding is REPORT ERROR is the thing that triggers a failure in the process. If you put failure rules in a user process this will terminate the process quietly without the user being aware that there was an error. Conversely if you don't use failure rules in an automated or background process then the process will halt and roll back the transaction, so you'd use the failure rules to build an exception report to go back and check or fix those that didn't complete.
himanshu

Post by himanshu »

It was a coincidence, Yesterday got an issue under Business Object Deletion Rules I found rules were executed two times when a BO deleted.
From,
Himanshu Jain

AwareIM Consultant (since version 4.0)
DB: MYSQL, MSSQL
tford

Post by tford »

We use Failure Rules to keep a history and also email us when a crucial process that should not have errors does fail.

We then have an Update Rule in the ErrorLog object that sends an email to us IF ErrorLog IS NEW
Good tip. Thanks!
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres