Confused on SessionTimeout settings

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
kklosson

Confused on SessionTimeout settings

Post by kklosson »

I always thought that the AwareIM SessionTimeout settings in BASServer.props are expressed in milliseconds i.e., 1 hour = 3600000, and in webapp.prop are expressed in seconds i.e., 1 hour=3600.

The pdf user guide for 8.2 dated 12/5/18 pg 439 describe the settings in milliseconds for the BASServer.props file. On page 440 under the section titled Setting Properties of the Aware IM Web Application, it describes the values in milliseconds, specifically referencing the webapp.props file. The three properties listed here are consistent with the three values in the webapp.props file located in C:\AwareIM\Tomcat\webapps\[your app folder]. This section of the guide also says "These properties are mostly relevant if the Aware IM Server and web server are running on the separate computers." So, are these settings mostly not relevant if not running on separate servers?

I see no reference to setting SessionTimeout to seconds in any AwareiM document. When I search for Tomcat wisdom on the web, it seems clear that the Tomcat SessionTimeout is always expressed in seconds but the webapp.props file seems an AwareIM thing, so I don't know if there is a translation or what it does.

So I have confusion on this and need clarity. Did I miss something?

If Support is listening, you are the definitive resource and your input will be valued here. Also, it would be a great value if you created a topic in the User Guide specifically describing all aspects of setting SessionTimeout.
V8.8
MySQL, AWS EC2, S3
PDFtk Toolkit
kklosson

Re: Confused on SessionTimeout settings

Post by kklosson »

And I am still confused about this. Am I missing something?
V8.8
MySQL, AWS EC2, S3
PDFtk Toolkit
Markfre1

Re: Confused on SessionTimeout settings

Post by Markfre1 »

I confused maybe I didn't read this post carefully as rushing out. In the Control Panel, Settings tab, under General, it says Tomcat time out - hrs.

I think I had set mine to something like 9999 or something like that and the users never timed out. However, I guess if you have a lot of users in you want to sign them out after x amount of hours of no activity.

I'm not sure if AIM ever added something for time out where it will go back to wherever you want such as a login page, or web page, but that is important.

All packages, even banks, after x amount of time, it pops us a window and asks if you want to stay in. Maybe we can use the timer function, based on no activity. This is on my list, but last until our project is done.

Mark F