Synchronising two AIM databases - Puzzle , advice needed

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
ACDC

Synchronising two AIM databases - Puzzle , advice needed

Post by ACDC »

I want to sync 3 remote AIM apps to a Master app using command line driven database tools using EXEC PROGRAM.
I am thinking the best and most simplest way to do this is add a decimal to the ID attribute.

So the ID number after the decimal indicates the remote app server number and guarantees uniqueness of ID in the Master AIM app

Example:
  • Server 1 ID = 10210.1
    next 10211.1

Server 2 ID = 14358.2
    next 14359.2

Server 2 ID = 23647.3
    next 23648.3
I was hoping to get an option in AIM to set the ID via the IDGEN table so it initiates the correct sequence ID no in decimal format. This would enable a built capability to merge databases - Vlad is not interested in this at all, he suggested I reformat the ID no's in the DB -

Some questions:

1. Is this a good idea - will it impact performance. Integer vs Decimal

2. I am not an expert in stored procedures or triggers (MySQL). I would want the ID change to happen dynamically as the new records are being created. Any suggestion on how I could do this using a stored procedure or trigger. Some help on this and best practice would be greatly appreciated.

3 Are there any other suggestions, ideas, concepts on how to sync two AIM databases?