Overhead Issue? from lots of Callback logins posting data?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Jaymer

Overhead Issue? from lots of Callback logins posting data?

Post by Jaymer »

If you read this post about callbacks from Mandrill and in this post, from Bandwidth,

I'm concerned about the overhead of all these "sessions" being created.
Like ACDC's JANGO callbacks from several years ago, I'm actually logging in with a "real user" - limited in ability and obfuscated with an Encrypted link, but still it is a Login. Thats more internal work than a .WAR file starting code or a REST/SOAP call.

---> The above login is a GET to the server, so it looks just like a regular user login

I have some Q's
1) 1 login happens. Make that Session # 1001. If the same User ID logs in again (totally diff. callback), this would be a new Session, #1002, correct?
2) or did Session 1001 go through Logout because it was the same User ID?
3) The same resources are allocated on the server for this Callback as are for a "real" user, because Aware doesn't know this is not a interactive session, correct?
4) The length of time these resources are held is based on session timeout, right?
5) So even in a small system, it could be possible that hundreds of Login sessions might be active all at one time, if you did a mass Email/SMS and were getting callbacks using this method?

I think I know the answers above. Yes, No, Yes, Yes, Yes
If not hundreds, maybe 1000s of sessions.
Is that something to be concerned with?
Is there another way to post data into Aware?
Maybe at the end of the processing, we execute a js function: AwareApp.logout? Will this solve everything?
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
ACDC

Re: Overhead Issue? from lots of Callback logins posting dat

Post by ACDC »

What about logging in as Guest, there is no password required. Maybe there are some special characteristics about the Guest user with this regard. There would have to be a locked down object so Guest can create the event and then some process that takes over final posting
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

Yes, I could do it with guest also, but in some forum post a long time ago, it was mentioned that each guest had a session id, because multiple guests can be logged in concurrently as well.
So I didn't THINK it made any diff.

Have a few emails into Vlad (not on this subject) but heard he is out this week - I'm hoping he will contribute to these answers when he returns.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

It’s worth noting that only recently has Aware allowed you to set individual time out times for users.
This was written before that was in the product.
After thinking about it, I wonder if A solution is to set the time out for that callback user to be 60 seconds, or 30 seconds.
Before, it was going to be 20 minutes, 30 minutes, several hours, because users don’t like to get logged out multiple times a day. So you would normally increase timeout to a large number of hours.
And that used to be a global setting.
Now I guess, a short timeout like one minute would solve this issue entirely.

Jaymer
tford

Post by tford »

Very interesting point, Jaymer!
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres