Attribute Text Case Setting for UPPER, lower, and Capitalize

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Arnold

Attribute Text Case Setting for UPPER, lower, and Capitalize

Post by Arnold »

Hello,
Not sure if I efficiently implemented setting text case for UPPER, lower, and Capitalize. Please refer to the link to the PDF where I show how I did all three in the attribute property pad and the rules. See the document for the reason I had to do both.

Thanks
Arnold

http://www.nicetouch.com/download/aware ... orText.pdf
Jaymer

Re: Attribute Text Case Setting for UPPER, lower, and Capita

Post by Jaymer »

hey Arnold
1) You don't need the "IF 1=1" part in the rules, since you want it to happen all the time
data=upper(data) no IF

just remember that for future use in any rule

2) if you modify your rules to Dynamic, and Don't execute on Server, then let the user type what they want, and when they tab off, it will change.
No need to the Style/CSS rules.

2a) The Dynamic checkbox makes it happen when they tab off
2b) The Dont X on Server keeps the rules engine from firing it all the time on the backend
2c) Since you've handled it now at data entry, You & Aware never needs to worry about it again.
2d) In THIS case, no need for extra checking (IF x IS NEW, or IF x WAS CHANGED) - just let the Dynamic part happen

3) In my experience, you'll never have any issue with mixed case in EMail addresses - no need to touch that

Someone else may have some suggestions - I generally don't worry about these issues at all.
MS SQL isn't going to care - I have mine set to ignore case for searching.
So a user can filter on "Arn" or "arn" and get the same result in a grid.

jaymer...
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
Arnold

Re: Attribute Text Case Setting for UPPER, lower, and Capita

Post by Arnold »

Hi Jaymer,
1. good to know - I was wondering about that and should have tried without it.
2. But I do want the case to show properly as they are typing in not when they tab off or click on save - that is just me - I just want it that way and my customers love it.
2a. I tried the dynamic and tabbing off - I just don't like it that way.
2b. good to know that the rules engine is firing all the time on the backend.
3. email address was only an example as I stated - it could have easily been First Name, Last Name, etc but I did not have those in my DataTest BO.
4. good to know about filtering ignoring case.

Thanks again Jaymer!!
Arnold