Advantages of running Aware as Service?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
BLOMASKY

Advantages of running Aware as Service?

Post by BLOMASKY »

Currently, I run aware by starting the control panel. This lets me view the server and Tomcat output and notice in real time when there is a "hiccup". If I switch it to running as a service, what are my options for viewing the log info? Is it updated in real time so I could see what I get in the control panel view?

thanks
Bruce
Jaymer

Re: Advantages of running Aware as Service?

Post by Jaymer »

Bruce, i use the crap out of being able to see the output windows.
This doesn’t apply to running as a Windows service, but I know one time when I ran aware as a test on our Unix box, you don’t have access to those windows.
I wonder if UNIX users realize what they’re missing by not being able to see what’s happening and debug using those windows.
I am definitely spoiled as I am in constant development, so I too am interested and what’s really to gain by running as a service of windows.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
himanshu

Post by himanshu »

Hi Bruce,

One of the most important advantage of running as a service is:
- You do not need to worry about what will happen if your server got restarted automatically for any reason. Most of the time happens when there is a patch update.

You can still view the logs similar we have on tomcat output viewer opening wrapper.log file sitting under tomcat/log folder.
You also can open the log viewer and configuration tool too.
From,
Himanshu Jain

AwareIM Consultant (since version 4.0)
DB: MYSQL, MSSQL
tford

Post by tford »

This would be a good topic for a video.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

I generally use it as a service during development. for me it's more convenient. But if I need to debug, I jump into CP.
customaware

Post by customaware »

I generally run as a service..... but...

There is an issue if you want to run User Defined Reports based on Excel. Won't work as a service. Not sure if it is an issue with Excel, Aware (wrapper) or Server. But I did it to death and could not solve it.

So got a solution by going back to Control Panel and finding a way to restart the Aware Control Panel automatically after a server reboot. This works great and for the reasons others described above in regard of always being able to
see the logs... is becoming my preferred setup.
Cheers,
Mark
intra

Post by intra »

Unix users can forward the output to a file and make use of the test and system log files.

Haven't needed to do any further debugging, what are we missing out?

Jaymer wrote:Bruce, i use the crap out of being able to see the output windows.
This doesn’t apply to running as a Windows service, but I know one time when I ran aware as a test on our Unix box, you don’t have access to those windows.
I wonder if UNIX users realize what they’re missing by not being able to see what’s happening and debug using those windows.
I am definitely spoiled as I am in constant development, so I too am interested and what’s really to gain by running as a service of windows.
Avid Linux user....
tford

Post by tford »

So got a solution by going back to Control Panel and finding a way to restart the Aware Control Panel automatically after a server reboot
How did you do that, Mark?
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
customaware

Post by customaware »

Have a look here Tom.

https://www.logonexpert.com/
Cheers,
Mark
BLOMASKY

How to view the Server Log

Post by BLOMASKY »

Someone mentioned viewing the wrapper.log under tomcat/log what about the server log. Is there an easy way to check that when Aware is running as a service?

Bruce