Licensing problems

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
emendez

Licensing problems

Post by emendez »

I have just purchased a Development version and I'm trying to install the key into the product. We have the tool installed in a Linux server with no GUI and we are accesing it from Windows workstations.

In one of this workstations I read the Product ID from the About dialog, entered it on your web site and obtained the Product Key. I entered this into the Registration dialog and the tool accepted it with no errors.

But, on entering again on the tool, it says thay there are, now, 0 days left for evaluation, the business space has incosistency errors and, it seems, that the version has been downgraded to a Personal version or something like that.

After this, I went to my Linux box and entered again the license in the command line license utility, it accepted it without errors but the server no longer starts.

These are the errors:

License expired or invalid for product id [ProductID]
Aware IM Server startup error License expired or invalid for product id [ProductID] exiting...
Error starting Aware IM Server License expired or invalid for product id [ProductID]
Process status: Aware IM Server: License expired or invalid for product id [ProductID]
Overall status: Unable to start Aware IM server
License expired or invalid for product id [ProductID]
Shutting down Aware IM Server...

Please, have a look at this, we are stopped, right now.

Eduardo Méndez.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

The most likely reason is that you entered the product key incorrectly. Please make sure that there are no space symbols and/or new lines before or after the key.

To fix the problem please do the following:
1) Shutdown Aware IM on the server if it is running
2) If you are running non-graphical Linux create a file called ProductKey.txt and put the key into this file. MAKE SURE THAT THERE ARE NO SPACES, NEW LINES/CARRIAGE RETURN SYMBOLS AFTER THE KEY - only the symbols of the key
3) Put the file into the bin directory of your Aware IM installation
4) Run the script productKeyNoGUI.sh located in the bin directory of your Aware IM installation
5) Re-start Aware IM
Aware IM Support Team
emendez

Post by emendez »

Done that.

root@JBoss:/opt/awareim/bin# ls -l ProductKey.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 21 2006-10-10 13:45 ProductKey.txt
root@JBoss:/opt/awareim/bin# wc -c ProductKey.txt
21 ProductKey.txt
root@JBoss:/opt/awareim/bin# ./productKeyNoGUI.sh
The setting for database 'max_allowed_packet' variable is not sufficient. Setting the value to 16M
Invalid product key [ProductKey]
root@JBoss:/opt/awareim/bin#

If I do this through ./productKey.sh (not ./productKetNoGUI.sh) the license is accepted.

Please note, that we want to run it without GUI because that will be what the clients will have.

Eduardo Méndez.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Please e-mail your product id and product key that you are trying to enter to [email protected]. There must be some mismatch and if there is we will send you the right key.

PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK YOUR PRODUCT ID (it must be displayed when Aware IM is started) to make sure that you are sending us the right one. Otherwise we will never be able to generate the right key.
Aware IM Support Team
harmonytech

Post by harmonytech »

Rather than start a new topic that will just about repeat a similar issue, I thought it would be best to ask this here.

I have a Linux (no GUI) install of AwareIM server running at a client. But recently, with our confusion we installed Aware on his Windows laptop. We were actually looking for the configtool.exe

Thanks to this helpful forum, we found out where it lived and we installed that instead.

But since then every time we start the configtool, we get a message on startup that tells us there's X amount of days left on the evaluation copy. I assume when we mistakenly installed AwareIM on the Windows machine, it somehow broke the license on the actual (linux) server. But we're not sure if the error comes up relating to the configtool or the server???

If it's the server, I assume we'll get a new license by logging into the account page and gaining a new license. I enter this into a productkey.txt file and run the productkey tool just like it's documented here with the initial question from the original poster?

Thanks again for your help.
Cheers
Steve
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Do you have a correct license for your Linux server? Check the startup message on your Linux machine which should tell you whether it is the evaluation version or not.
Aware IM Support Team
harmonytech

Post by harmonytech »

Initially the server has been running for weeks and only recently the actual administration of my client's AwareIM application has only just started to take fold. When it was started the first and only time at the customers, the application starts fine and is accessible.

But while we were trying to figure out a few weeks ago how to install the configtool.exe, we accidentally installed the Windows version of AwareIM server on the clients laptop because we had seen a configtool in the setup. I posted a thread here about it and Support answered me promptly with a link to the actual configtool.exe

But when we installed and configured that on the Windows Laptop my client uses to refer to the Linux server running AwareIM it came up with a message that we were using the evaluation copy.

When I see my client soon, I'll restart AwareIM on the server and see what messages appear in the terminal and report back immediately.

Cheers
Steve
harmonytech

Post by harmonytech »

Hi there, this is the first opportunity I have had to return to my client. I have restarted the AwareIM server via the command line (using Putty) from the clients desktop.

There are no errors and AwareIM starts up as per normal. There are no messages appearing in the command line that signify the actual server is running in evaluation mode.

Once the server is up, I open the ConfigTool.exe and I am prompted with a login. I make sure that the configtool is pointing to the actual server, as I would imaging if there is no server there I would not be able to log in. I log in and the message appears, "You are using an evaluation version. X days of evaluation left."

We have also been given the following info from support.

Please verify the following:
1. Aware IM is running on your server and the correct license is displayed in the About box of the Control Panel
2. You uninstall any Aware IM installations on the client machine other than the installation of the standalone Configuration Tool
3. You run the configuration tool from the Startup menu on the client machine NOT from the Aware IM Control Panel (either on the server or on the client)
4. UIConfig.props file of the standalone Configuration Tool installation has the network name of the server machine

All this has been done. Yet it still comes up with the evaluation message.

We're both a little stumped and don't want to have a defunct server if this issue isn't fix by the evaluation expiry date.

Cheers
Steve
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Please attach the printout of the command line output when you start the Linux server.

Have you actually ever entered the license file into the server on Linux, which we advised your client to do?
Aware IM Support Team
harmonytech

Post by harmonytech »

A product license was never entered. We (my client and I) were both under the impression that downloading the AwareIM server from my clients account page was the full version.

Though, I have gone ahead and transferred the ProductKey.txt file which was emailed to my client, to the server and when I run productKeyNoGUI.sh I get an error that the key is invalid.

My understanding is that my client has already notified support via email. Though, for the sake of the forum I figured I'll update everyone here. After all, there will be a time when someone else has a similar issue and it'll be great to find the answer rather than ask it again.

Cheers
Steve
By the way, I have checked the file ownership and permissions on the ProductKey.txt file. It is perfect.
harmonytech

Post by harmonytech »

The problem has appeared to be solved. I scp'd the txt file from a Linux box instead of using Putty on Windows. It worked.

On to tackle the other small niggles now. But my client is happy his machine is running.

Thank you so much for your assistance.

Cheers
Steve
mraath

V4 product key problem

Post by mraath »

I have emailed support 3 times now to get the product key generated.
The key on my account does not work for my product ID.
My installation(purchased developer edition) is currently working on this product ID, so doing an UPDATE from MY ACCOUNT to version 4 should not be signalling an INVALID KEY error.

What happed to the so called good service from Aware?
Please would someone at Aware reply to this my 4th communication on this matter.

aware_support wrote:Please e-mail your product id and product key that you are trying to enter to [email protected]. There must be some mismatch and if there is we will send you the right key.

PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK YOUR PRODUCT ID (it must be displayed when Aware IM is started) to make sure that you are sending us the right one. Otherwise we will never be able to generate the right key.
Best Regards
Marcus Raath
+27823009607
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

An invalid key error indicates that the product id registered on your account does not match the product id of your system. We will reply to you by e-mail about your query.
Aware IM Support Team