Naming Conventions

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
customaware

Naming Conventions

Post by customaware »

I am interested to hear from others regarding any naming conventions you use.

In particular, Processes.

I am sure we have all been in the situation whereby we create a Process called, say, CalculateAmountForAllWidgets and then we find we need subprocesses and
end up with a mess of Process and Subprocess names that are hard to follow. This can be assisted by placing Subprocesses UNDER a Parent Process but still can be
confusing.
I am sure that by using a good naming convention would help.... hence the question.

Tell us what you use.
Cheers,
Mark
PointsWell

Re: Naming Conventions

Post by PointsWell »

Object Action Sub Activity StepNo Brief Description

eg This deals with all the steps in the execution of a Contract step 000 is the root that is called
Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 14.57.07.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 14.57.07.png (46.58 KiB) Viewed 6815 times
Everything sorts and stays close together as long as you put it in the right category if you are using categories otherwise if you don't use categories it all sorts.

Nice and easy to follow in the log too.
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

PostSales
PostSales_b
PostSales_c
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
tford

Post by tford »

Very similar to PointsWell. For two processes that are related, I use Process_1 and Process_2.

In this exmaple, _1 calls _2, then _2 calls _2a 2b 2e or 2f depending on IF statements in _2. I could have included all of the 2a-2f logic in _2, but making each a different process helped me keep it super clear in my mind.
ProcessNames_1.jpg
ProcessNames_1.jpg (16.77 KiB) Viewed 6691 times

As for shortcut Attribute names, I use a different naming scheme than most on the forums:

In Student BO, I have a reference Attribute called School. To shortcut various attributes of School into Student, I append _sc so I'm clear by looking at the attribute name that it is a shortcut. For example, names would be:

Student.BDL.City_sc
Student.BDL.State_sc
Student.BDL.Zip_sc

This naming convention also keeps all the attributes which are shortcuts from BDL sorted together on the Student screen in the Configuration Tool.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

WOW. I am not anywhere near as organized as you guys. The few processes that call a 2nd or 3rd step have "_step2" appended to them. I do have a LOT of folders so it is pretty easy to find where the processes are.

Since I learned from the Jedi Master (errr, I mean, Aware Master, Mark). I use his naming, and like the fact that all shortcuts are next to each other. (of course, now that Aware color codes shortcuts and relationships, perhaps not as important. I still use ob_, om_, ps_ and pm_ as a prefix for my relationships.

Bruce