Kanban component - PITCH IN (No Drag & Drop planned)

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
ACDC

Kanban component - PITCH IN (No Drag & Drop planned)

Post by ACDC »

According to support, they will not be adding a Drag & Drop feature into AwareIM because of the complexities in the way AwareIM works. So the potential of making a KANBAN type board will not be possible in any future version

The only way would be to make a Kanban component plug-in.

I have a budget price of $500 to make a KanBan plug-in from Vladimir. Are there any interested parties wishing to pitch in ? – The outcome of the custom plug-in is not guaranteed though, so there is a risk here.
BenHayat

Re: Kanban component - PITCH IN (No Drag & Drop planned)

Post by BenHayat »

Tony, are you looking for a full fledged Kanban "Board" or just D&D?
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

ACDC wrote:According to support, they will not be adding a Drag & Drop feature into AwareIM because of the complexities in the way AwareIM works. So the potential of making a KANBAN type board will not be possible in any future version

The only way would be to make a Kanban component plug-in.

I have a budget price of $500 to make a KanBan plug-in from Vladimir. Are there any interested parties wishing to pitch in ? – The outcome of the custom plug-in is not guaranteed though, so there is a risk here.
What exactly will the plugin do, how will it look and work etc.? I already have a Kanban type "module" I have built myself (proof of concept, not actually used it yet) and I did it with a JS drag and drop plugin called Nestable. johntalbott has also done something similar and doing something like this ourselves is not hard but of course having it directly integrated in Aware is something I always prefer.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Due to popular demand we think of adding this feature to 8.2 (no pitching is necessary).

Below is the description of what we are planning to do. Please review and let us know if we are missing something.

1. A query will have an extra option to present query results as a Kanban board
The following properties will be available when this option is selected:
- The name of the attribute of the object that the query queries on. The value of this attribute determines the content of the column of the Kanban board (for example, Status) - it will act as a filter on the query for each column
- An HTML of the list element shown by the board, for example:
<li>{Object.Attribute}</li>
- A process that will be called when an item is moved from one list to another
- Item rules
- Panel Header (will be applied to each column of the board)
Aware IM Support Team
tford

Post by tford »

Excellent!! This will be super useful.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

I use Trello for my projects and it's a great example of Kanban execution.

https://trello.com/
JonP

Post by JonP »

Awesome! Couple questions:

I assume that panel header can be used to color-code the column backgrounds, right?

My attribute, Status, has a number of pre-Kanban list options (Draft, Submitted, Rejected) that I don't want seen. If the query filters on that attribute, will those columns not appear?
v8.1 on Windows 10 / MySQL 5.6 (local), v8.1 on Windows Server 2016 / MySQL 5.6 (server)
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

aware_support wrote:Due to popular demand we think of adding this feature to 8.2 (no pitching is necessary).

Below is the description of what we are planning to do. Please review and let us know if we are missing something.

1. A query will have an extra option to present query results as a Kanban board
- The name of the attribute of the object that the query queries on. The value of this attribute determines the content of the column of the Kanban board (for example, Status) - it will act as a filter on the query for each column
- An HTML of the list element shown by the board, for example:
<li>{Object.Attribute}</li>
- Item rules
- Panel Header (will be applied to each column of the board)
Great news support, thanks for implementing this free of charge. I only have the following comments:
- Don´t restrict the HTML for each panel item giving us the option to add various other things to the item. I don´t really care if we can change the HTML directly in the query (custom query type edit) or if we need to ourselves populate the attribute with HTML etc. (the former is better IMO if I understand the way you will set this up correctly). The idea is to for example add other things to each item so things like icons, operations, date etc. etc. (we could change color of the items this way as well if you don´t build the colouring in). See this image for an example of different items with different stuff on them: https://scitechkapsar.files.wordpress.c ... xample.png .
- Context menu support for each item.
- Customizable panel header title (e.g "Ideas", "Todo" etc. etc. in the image above) and is surely part of the solution but thought I´d mention it just in case.
- Possibly set up colouring in the query making it configurable in an easy way? (with colouring I mean background color of each panel item) and could either be for the entire column i.e all items in 1 column or on item level i.e change color of each item. This is not something I will use though so not an requirement for me. With the option to ourselves edit HTML as per my first request, we can do this ourselves easily and I can share a sample BSV with this later on if others with HTML phobia need it.
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

Due to popular demand we think of adding this feature to 8.2 (no pitching is necessary).
Thanks support, that's music to my ears. This will be an excellent feature :D

Here was my initial requirement I meant to post before the good news announcement

My requirements of a Kanban component would be to simply drag an item in a grid and drop it on another grid resulting in an attribute value being changed. (Both grids are Standard or Custom based AIM queries referencing the same Object, but with the presentation, parameters changed.

I imagine the simple setup of a generic type plugin to achieve the above would be as follows :

1. Create multiple grids on a form or stand-alone queries in a layout, referencing the same Object by way of a standard or custom AIM query and align them vertically or whatever suits the layout.

2. Somewhere in the setup of each Query represented by the grid, insert reference to the Plugin while also inserting the Attribute with the corresponding value that needs to be changed upon a DROP event.

A. Note : Being able to have this working on form reference grids as opposed to just stand alone queries would be super cool

B. BTW, being able to show more than one attribute in the column would also be really good, the additional attribute could serve the purpose of a progress indicator while being in the current state (Please see image example below)

C. Also, being able to sort the sequence of items in the grid by dragging up or down and obviously two way dragging and dropping is vital

Attachments
kanban2Attribute.JPG
kanban2Attribute.JPG (30.28 KiB) Viewed 18634 times
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Thank you for the feedback. We have modified the proposed solution based on your requirements.
Please note that filtering on two attributes that allows "grouped" columns as on the picture provided by AC/DC will not be supported (at least in 8.2).

PLEASE REVIEW the solution below (this is your chance to affect the end result):

A query will have an extra option to present query results as a Kanban board ("Standard", "Custom", "Chart", "Calendar", "Gantt Chart", "Kanban")

- There will be a list of "columns" that you add to the board explicitly. For each column you specify:
- An HTML of the list element shown by the board, for example: <li>{Object.Attribute}</li>
- Value of the attribute for this column
- HTML of the column header
- HTML of the column footer
- HTML of the container element that holds the board
Aware IM Support Team
tford

Post by tford »

Do you have an ETA for 8.2?
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
johntalbott

Post by johntalbott »

aware_support wrote:Thank you for the feedback. We have modified the proposed solution based on your requirements.
Please note that filtering on two attributes that allows "grouped" columns as on the picture provided by AC/DC will not be supported (at least in 8.2).

PLEASE REVIEW the solution below (this is your chance to affect the end result):

A query will have an extra option to present query results as a Kanban board ("Standard", "Custom", "Chart", "Calendar", "Gantt Chart", "Kanban")

- There will be a list of "columns" that you add to the board explicitly. For each column you specify:
- An HTML of the list element shown by the board, for example: <li>{Object.Attribute}</li>
They are not called out in your list here, but other than Grouping, are you intending to implement ACDC's other requests?
VocalDay Solutions - Agility - Predictability - Quality

We specialize in enabling business through the innovative use of technology.

AwareIM app with beautiful UI/UX - https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/crfUrrVeB3t
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Code: Select all

They are not called out in your list here, but other than Grouping, are you intending to implement ACDC's other requests?
All other requirements should be covered by the solution above (at least, that's what we think).

ETA for 8.2 is November
Aware IM Support Team
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

Please note that filtering on two attributes that allows "grouped" columns as on the picture provided by AC/DC will not be supported
Support, I don't want to filter on the second attribute, I merely want to show it as an indicator. The filtering will always be done on the one attribute. I don't know if that changes things, it is not grouped (although the image makes it look that way). If not possible then that's fine, it's just a nice to have option :D

Thanks
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

aware_support wrote:Thank you for the feedback. We have modified the proposed solution based on your requirements.

Awesome, looking forward to this + 8.2 in general (will have a lot of good stuff).