Kanban fun

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
johntalbott

Kanban fun

Post by johntalbott »

I've been tinkering with creating a Kanban board. This is my progress thus far.

http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cFjQ1Iq1pK
VocalDay Solutions - Agility - Predictability - Quality

We specialize in enabling business through the innovative use of technology.

AwareIM app with beautiful UI/UX - https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/crfUrrVeB3t
ACDC

Re: Kanban fun

Post by ACDC »

that's brilliant, this is on my to-do list - can you share :mrgreen:
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

That’s cool!
customaware

Post by customaware »

Awesome John....

Where can we send the share donations?
Cheers,
Mark
tford

Post by tford »

Very impressive, John! Anxious to hear a few clues about how you accomplished this.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

Very nice indeed John and would love to hear some more about the JS (plugin?) you are using. I myself am actually also working on a Kanban in Aware and I am using nestable: https://github.com/dbushell/Nestable but I have only done a proof of concept as of yet i.e made sure it works "integrated" in Aware. Next step for me is building the actual "module" and system integration into one of my apps.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
JonP

Post by JonP »

Yes! I would love to do the same thing! How??

https://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10020
v8.1 on Windows 10 / MySQL 5.6 (local), v8.1 on Windows Server 2016 / MySQL 5.6 (server)
johntalbott

Post by johntalbott »

hpl123 wrote:Very nice indeed John and would love to hear some more about the JS (plugin?) you are using. I myself am actually also working on a Kanban in Aware and I am using nestable: https://github.com/dbushell/Nestable but I have only done a proof of concept as of yet i.e made sure it works "integrated" in Aware. Next step for me is building the actual "module" and system integration into one of my apps.
The nestable plugin looks nice. I'm using a series of Kendo UI List View controls.
VocalDay Solutions - Agility - Predictability - Quality

We specialize in enabling business through the innovative use of technology.

AwareIM app with beautiful UI/UX - https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/crfUrrVeB3t
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

johntalbott wrote:
hpl123 wrote:Very nice indeed John and would love to hear some more about the JS (plugin?) you are using. I myself am actually also working on a Kanban in Aware and I am using nestable: https://github.com/dbushell/Nestable but I have only done a proof of concept as of yet i.e made sure it works "integrated" in Aware. Next step for me is building the actual "module" and system integration into one of my apps.
The nestable plugin looks nice. I'm using a series of Kendo UI List View controls.
Ok thanks and I guess this is the more "native" (ballpark) solution compared to mine where I dabble with JS/jQuery and integrating it via custom logic (I use a lot of awareapp functions etc. to get JS actions linked to business logic/rules which then update the views etc.). Would love to see a sample BSV if you can share more in the future.
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

JonP wrote:Yes! I would love to do the same thing! How??

https://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10020
Well, first of all a drag and drop feature did exist in Aware where you could drag/drop "things" between different panels (queries for example) but that feature got removed somewhere in V7 I think it was. It was replaced by a better version of reordering "things" inside the one query (something I don't think is working now either by the way. I can't remember the details but I tried to get it working in V7 and found various bugs i.e I couldn't use it). Support promised to the best of my recollection to bring the drag/drop between panels/queries etc. back but I don't think it has gotten reintroduced again. IMO the drag and drop between panels and reordering inside them should both be available in Aware (and possibly improved/modernized). If you look at most webapps today, they use these types of operations all over and not having them makes an app look like something from the 90's.

That said, when we don't have these operations etc. available, we can always tinker ourselves like I do (and others like John) but it requires some JS skills (and time quite frankly as you have to do your own solution and then integrate it in Aware). I can share a rudimentary sample BSV with the things I've done as soon as I have something more substantial but is a low priority on my list so might take a long while before that happens. If you are up for it, I would recommend you to take a stab at integrating something like nestable yourself (see my link + google nestable sample code) or any other drag and drop JS code/plugin. The upside to doing it yourself is you learn how "easy" it is to integrate whatever in Aware.
JonP

Post by JonP »

Thanks Henrik, I had been questioning my memory on that. I distinctly remember looking for (and finding) that capability because I needed it to create a Kanban board. That's frustrating that Aware's prioritizes moving toward a more headless DIY platform rather than the RAD platform that they had been promoting. Removing features/capabilities is not cool. I had relied on that being available (and working).
v8.1 on Windows 10 / MySQL 5.6 (local), v8.1 on Windows Server 2016 / MySQL 5.6 (server)
bondicoffee

Post by bondicoffee »

Can you please share bsv on to implement kanban board ?
mrbdrm

Post by mrbdrm »

Alot of devs seems in need of this feature.
support
why not drop the "custom forms" and implement this instead
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

mrbdrm wrote:Alot of devs seems in need of this feature.
support
why not drop the "custom forms" and implement this instead
By all means implementing this feature would be nice but not at the cost of dropping custom forms which is more valuable to me (and some others it seems).

Support have to balance implementing RAD like tools (i.e no coding or custom stuff) with DYI tools (i.e more advanced tools) and I think they are doing a good job with this. It´s difficult to please all and some might argue that the DIY tool options/implementations are no good but I think to the contrary that having the OPTION to do more advanced stuff is always beneficial/superior. When I started with Aware for example it was VERY CONSTRICTED i.e advanced stuff was almost impossible and now we can do a lot of stuff IF WE WANT and take the time/effort to do it. We still have most things RAD style but with the option to do more if we want.
JonP

Post by JonP »

This is a feature that was taken away. I made a purchase decision based on this feature. It needs to come back ASAP!