Consuming an ASP.Net Web API

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
ALW

Consuming an ASP.Net Web API

Post by ALW »

Has anyone had any experience with ASP.Net Web API? I have done very little work with the web services portion of AwareIm and I am wondering if this integration is possible through the web services offered in AwareIm or if I have to have a java plugin created.

https://www.asp.net/web-api

Here is a description of the framework.
This is a simple framework for building HTTP based services and can be consumed by a broad range of clients (Javascript, PHP, .NET, etc). Basically any client that can send/receive HTTP requests. Objects and other data definitions typically serialized in JSON format, but can also use XML if that is easier for the caller.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.
BenHayat

Re: Consuming an ASP.Net Web API

Post by BenHayat »

Q:
Are you trying to use Aware to "CREATE" web service or "CONSUME" web service?

ASP.Net WebAPI is a full fledged platform to create a REST service. So, I'm not sure why you brought up ASP and Aware in the same sentence.

Regardless what language or platform the service was written, for you to consume that service via REST service, you need to write a Java plugin, register it with Aware and then use the plugin to communicate with Web service.

So, you need to focus on the Java plugin and not worry what the REST service was written in.
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

I can think of an excellent Use case. Our credit card processor is accessed via a REST service and it would be really nice to have aware call the service (via javascript which is easy) and to send a JSON object (which is not as easy) and then parse the JSON return object (not easy at ALL!)

Bruce
ALW

Post by ALW »

Thanks Ben - as I said, I am completely new to this so your information was very helpful. Does anyone have an interest in quoting this work? I know I can go to AwareIM directly but I think they are quoting a long of time to get this work done.

Thanks!
Amy
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

ALW wrote:Thanks Ben - as I said, I am completely new to this so your information was very helpful. Does anyone have an interest in quoting this work? I know I can go to AwareIM directly but I think they are quoting a long of time to get this work done.

Thanks!
Amy
Again, I'm still confused and can you please clarify?

a) Are you looking to develop a REST service either in Aware or ASP?
if yes, as I had recent discussions with Support, Aware currently isn't supporting a full blown secure REST service generator. So ASP (WebAPI) is your only choice

b) Or are you trying to use Aware to "Consume" a REST service?
If yes, then you need to write a plugin in Java for Aware to consume the REST service.

Hope this covers it.
ALW

Post by ALW »

Ben,
I am looking to consume a REST service so I will need to have a java plugin written to consume the web service.

Thanks,
Amy
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

ALW wrote:Ben,
I am looking to consume a REST service so I will need to have a java plugin written to consume the web service.

Thanks,
Amy
I highly suggest to contact Support, since they do this all the time.