Painful lesson: "Save" does not save

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
JonP

Painful lesson: "Save" does not save

Post by JonP »

Newbie evaluator here ascending the learning curve. The last two days I have been creating/saving business objects in my new business space and not bothering to close the configurator.

This morning I wake my Windows 10 computer to a blue screen of death, which collects data and reboots. When I run the configurator, the business space is there, but my business objects are gone. I checked the database and the BO tables are not there.

So I try creating a BO, save and then close the configurator, which asks me if I want to update the business space. I do and when I come back, the BO is there.

What is the point of having a save button if it doesn't actually save to drive? It just creates a false sense of security. What it appears to be is an update so that other objects become aware of the changes. "Updating" the business space is actually saving. Aware reversed the terms!
v8.1 on Windows 10 / MySQL 5.6 (local), v8.1 on Windows Server 2016 / MySQL 5.6 (server)
rbross

Re: Painful lesson: "Save" does not save

Post by rbross »

What you can do is export the BSV and this will contain all of your changes.
If you leave the configurator open and AwareIM open exporting it is a safe way to know your changes will be saved.
Roger Ross
AwareIM 8.7 (build 3025) ~ MS-SQL ~ Windows 10 ~
AwareIM 8.5 (build 2828) ~ MS-SQL ~ Windows 10 ~
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

After using Aware for a while, and still finding ways to screw up, and understanding that my entire application is stored in a database (and not in a zillion separate source file like many other systems), I understand that doing a WHOOPS (or power failures, etc. ) can corrupt my entire application, I got in the habit of every hour (or 2)

1) Running the consistancy checker to make sure I didn't delete something by mistake
2) Exporting the application with the date and time appended to it. so I have a bunch of files that look like "ALC_March1_9AM.bsv"

More than once this has saved my bacon when I managed to break something. I also have a 2nd application called backup where I can import the last "good" export, and then copy and paste from the backup to my real application.

Bruce

(Also, with memory leaks, etc. etc. I would be hesitant to keep a development tool open for that long without restarting it.)
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

Hopefully, this problem will be behind us in V8 since V8 is a different tool. But starting V7 (and this problem didn't exist in V6) when I was doing lots of beta testing, I came across this problem that if you leave configurator open for over 12 hours or so, it is already crashed (depending on how much memory you have assigned to it) or it you will start getting memory error when truing to test & run and will eventually crash.
Just like Bruce [Lee] I also save every hour or after some changes and export. Exit configurator and start again.
tford

Post by tford »

Similar to Ben, I not only save and export my BSVs on a regular basis, but also have http://www.CrashPlan.com automated backup system constantly backing up my data to my account. While I also have other backup processes in place, CrashPlan is my safety blanket.
JonP

Post by JonP »

Thanks guys, this was helpful. This morning I experienced my 2nd blue screen. I think Ben's right about the configurator destabilizing Windows. Windows 10 made blue screens so rare that I had become somewhat complacent...and I thought I was saving anyway. Ben, what's your recommendation for how much memory to assign to the configurator?
v8.1 on Windows 10 / MySQL 5.6 (local), v8.1 on Windows Server 2016 / MySQL 5.6 (server)
customaware

Post by customaware »

I have the following and never have any issues.

AwareIM Server 2048
Tomcat 1024
Config Tool 1024
Cheers,
Mark
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

My configurator is set for 1024.