Still trying to figure out memory settings

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
kklosson

Still trying to figure out memory settings

Post by kklosson »

In the last 48 hours I've had a couple of crashes and I know there has been a heavy load. The log file shows:

Out of memory error encountered in the source TS

Clearly, I need more memory, of which my machine has plenty. I run as a service. Here's what I think I understand.

The memory settings for the AwareIM server are in ...bin\wrapper.conf, where I have the following:
# Initial Java Heap Size (in MB)
wrapper.java.initmemory=96

# Maximum Java Heap Size (in MB)
wrapper.java.maxmemory=2048

So I believe I am feeding 2GB to the AwareIm Server.

The memory settings for Tomcat are in ...\tomcat\conf\wrapper.conf, where I have the same settings. So I believe I am feeding 2GB to the Tomcat server.

When the system crashed, I looked at the processes and both were well under 1GB each, like 5-600mb, and I've never seen either process breach 1GB. My server has 8GB.

So I am not sure that my wrapping settings are doing their job and I've never found any way to test Java for its memory allocation. Clearly, my system ran out of memory but I cannot understand how.

I note that Support previously stated:
"If you want to use more than 1024M of memory when running as a service you need to update to the 64-bit version of the Tanuki wrapper software. It's not free and you will need to pay for the license." I have the 64-bit license but have not installed it. Also, like I said, I don't think the system is consuming close to 1GB.
V8.8
MySQL, AWS EC2, S3
PDFtk Toolkit
BobK

Re: Still trying to figure out memory settings

Post by BobK »

When I was playing with services, I made my changes in awareim.conf and tomcat.conf (both in Awareim/bin).

If you used the AwareIM supplied InstallService.bat to create the services, check close to the bottom of that file for

:Tomcat
"%_WRAPPER_EXE%" -i "Tomcat.conf"

and

:AwareIM
"%_WRAPPER_EXE%" -i "awareim.conf"

Those are the lines that create the Tomcat and AwareIM services and the -i parameter indicates what conf file to use when running the service.
Bob
kklosson

Post by kklosson »

High-quality response. Thanks BobK.
V8.8
MySQL, AWS EC2, S3
PDFtk Toolkit
Rennur

Post by Rennur »

I've had memory issues which resulted in high CPU usage, causing the system to become unresponsive.

I've added some jawaw parameters to AwareIM>Bin>startAwareMI.bat startup file to try to control how it controls memory usage..

Code: Select all

start %JAVA_HOME%\bin\javaw -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:PermSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Xss512k -cp %CLASSPATH% com.bas.controlcenter.ControlCenterApp
Hope it helps.

Cheers
Attachments
AwareIM memory and startup
AwareIM memory and startup
memory - Aim.png (12.36 KiB) Viewed 5015 times