Aware IM Conference 2017

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
hpl123

Re: Aware IM Conference 2017

Post by hpl123 »

Anywhere in the US I would say is good (Hawaii also good) and ideally an conference location i.e something like Vegas with easy transport options in/out, good conference equipment, reasonable prices, something interesting/fun to see in between sessions/days etc..

As always thanks Mark for the continued efforts.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

tford wrote:June in Orlando would be my #1 choice. I'm not really a Disney World person, but cost and logistics to & from Orlando are excellent.

Working in a high school, taking off a week to fly internationally is not really feasible.

I would also consider having a substantial part of the workshops over the weekend to give folks the maximum opportunity to attend as well.
June? The conference is generally in the first Quarter of the year.
tford

Post by tford »

Just a selfish request on my part since my responsibilities include teaching a Business Management class which makes it very difficult to take a significant chunk of time off during the school year.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

tford wrote:
Just a selfish request on my part since my responsibilities include teaching a Business Management class which makes it very difficult to take a significant chunk of time off during the school year.
Ah, I see.
Squiffy

Post by Squiffy »

I like the thought of Spain. I can get there very cheaply, though you might have to do it before we flush ourselves down the metaphorical toilet and put ourselves outside of Europe...
David Wylie
Server : Linux (Centos 7), Client : Windows 10, db : MariaDB
"...a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as my wife would have it, an idiot."
Powerm

Post by Powerm »

+1000 for Barcelona
Independent Developer
www.atwing.com
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

I am all for any location in Europe as well. Spain is good, UK (London), Czech R. (Prague) and Denmark (Copenhagen) are also on the top of my list (Prague being cheapest and is the conference Vegas of Europe I.e cheap, easy transport, vetted conference location, stuff to see/do outside of the conference etc.).
customaware

Post by customaware »

I just returned yesterday from 3 weeks in Europe Henrik.
Yes, Prague, Vienna were gorgeous.

But Spain has beaches :-)
Cheers,
Mark
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

Yeah, Europe has a lot to offer :D.

Regarding Spain, yes beaches are a big plus but depending on when the conference will be, the beaches might not be open / good (too cold) for example if the Conference is in March/April or something like that. If so Malaga (still a bit cold during that period) or the Canary Islands (good temperature all year round) are the best places in terms of temperature etc. I rekkon but still far from a warm nice summer location :(.
customaware

Post by customaware »

Oh Really!

I thought Southern Spanish beach was a all year round thing.....

May have to rethink.....

I imagine people will want somewhere with good weather.

Have just about settled on the dates.....

19th-20th-21st April 2017.
Cheers,
Mark
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

Unfortunately not :( or it's at least no beach weather / temperatures. It's possible to be outside with OK sun etc. but the temperatures are 15-18 degrees (C) tops so not really beach weather. The only exception is the Canary Islands where there is a good temperature (over 20 degrees (C) BUT also gets hot winds from Africa that influence the climate) all year round (the islands are located West of the Sahara desert (Africa) so quite far further down south). If it's Europe and best weather/ sunny location, the Canary Islands is my best bet during this period.
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

Mark,
Another cool location could be South Africa maybe? Good sun, things to see etc. guaranteed (I assume) and is probably quite cheap and Hein and the other SA guys could probably help with info/tips on cheap venue/hotels, things to do etc..

Or maybe Australia could be good?

Otherwise Bali/US is not to shabby :).

I have just been in Thailand for 3 weeks so am in a travelly kind of mood, can you tell? :roll: :lol:
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

Forget Europe or America, come to Africa (South Africa ) it's dirt cheap and the beaches are open - they never close
You can either have it in Cape Town - and tour the winelands afterwards, or the pristine beaches, maybe even shark cage diving
or /
You can have it in Johannesburg and go on Safari into the wild and see the BIG five in their natural habitat(Kruger National Park) and before you leave visit the Cradle Of Mankind and see where your distant ancestors came from.

The weather is at its best at that time of the year, blue sky guaranteed

The current x rate of US$ 14: 1 GBP 18.25:1 and Euro 15.50 :1 will let you have a very cheap stay , use the cheapness to explore

an ice Cold Draught beer 500ml , will cost you $2.20 (US) and a 300 Gram well aged rump steak with all the trimmings will cost you US$ 9.25

Sounds like a good idea ? I would be happy to help scope out things if needed
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

ACDC wrote:Forget Europe or America, come to Africa (South Africa ) it's dirt cheap and the beaches are open - they never close
You can either have it in Cape Town - and tour the winelands afterwards, or the pristine beaches, maybe even shark cage diving
or /
You can have it in Johannesburg and go on Safari into the wild and see the BIG five in their natural habitat(Kruger National Park) and before you leave visit the Cradle Of Mankind and see where your distant ancestors came from.

The weather is at its best at that time of the year, blue sky guaranteed

The current x rate of US$ 14: 1 GBP 18.25:1 and Euro 15.50 :1 will let you have a very cheap stay , use the cheapness to explore

an ice Cold Draught beer 500ml , will cost you $2.20 (US) and a 300 Gram well aged rump steak with all the trimmings will cost you US$ 9.25

Sounds like a good idea ? I would be happy to help scope out things if needed
Tony, do you live in SA? I thought you lived US. Just curious.
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

Ben
I have worked and lived in the USA , but I am a South African of British descent and move between California and SA (Johannesburg) a lot , half my family stays in California, so it really depends on the time of the year and business commitments