►Q◄ Does Aware support Many-2-Many out of the Box?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
BenHayat

►Q◄ Does Aware support Many-2-Many out of the Box?

Post by BenHayat »

Tools that don't support Many-2-Many out of the box, you have to create the third [middleman] table yourself. Does Aware support M-2-M out of the box and create the third table for you automatically? I tried every which way, but no luck.

If no, will this be offered in 7.1?
Thanks!
BLOMASKY

Re: ►Q◄ Does Aware support Many-2-Many out of the Box?

Post by BLOMASKY »

Sure it does Ben. If you have a relationship with "multiple" on both attributes, then aware creates the "middle" table.

Bruce
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

BLOMASKY wrote:Sure it does Ben. If you have a relationship with "multiple" on both attributes, then aware creates the "middle" table.

Bruce
Bruce, these relationships were "OwnedBy" and I could not get aware to give me the "multiple allowed" option. So, no middle was created.
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

BLOMASKY wrote:Sure it does Ben. If you have a relationship with "multiple" on both attributes, then aware creates the "middle" table.

Bruce
Clarification - When the M-2M is created I don't see a new object created that combines the two. That's what I meant. Because I will need that object later on in my queries to search upon.
For example when I'd create a m-2-m in .Net, I would have a new object (not just a table in DB) that I could deal with in the code. I don't see that object in Aware.
pureist

Post by pureist »

Peer multiple reference attributes are obviously possible, and two objects can be peer multiple's of each other.
But, shortcut attributes won't be possible in this scenario.
But you can setup an intermediate object to be a 'carrier' of another.
Why don't you outline an example of what you want to achieve using 'objA' and 'objB' as pawns in your example, so more comment/suggestions can be forthcoming?
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

pureist wrote:Peer multiple reference attributes are obviously possible, and two objects can be peer multiple's of each other.
But, shortcut attributes won't be possible in this scenario.
But you can setup an intermediate object to be a 'carrier' of another.
Why don't you outline an example of what you want to achieve using 'objA' and 'objB' as pawns in your example, so more comment/suggestions can be forthcoming?
I've already gone through the route of middleman or carrier, because I get an object to work with and also I get to have shortcuts, which is a must. Peer relation is no good in this case. I also need to store another attribute called Counts which forces me to create my own middleman object. I thought Aware creates that object, but it only creates the DB table for it's use.
tford

Post by tford »

I thought Aware creates that object, but it only creates the DB table for it's use.
Perhaps you could get support to make the table available since it is created??
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
customaware

Post by customaware »

Connect to it as an external table?
Cheers,
Mark
tford

Post by tford »

That should prove to be even easier to do as support has indicated that external files will have even greater functional support soon.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

tford wrote:
That should prove to be even easier to do as support has indicated that external files will have even greater functional support soon.
I have to see if I really want to deal with table as "external" table or as a first-class-citizen object made in Aware (where I can use it throughout)
If Aware was giving me back and object then that would be great.