Just curious, am I the only one building ONLY desktop apps

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
BLOMASKY

Just curious, am I the only one building ONLY desktop apps

Post by BLOMASKY »

While I only have 2 customers keeping me busy, I am curious, how many others have no demand for mobile apps? Anyone else JUST building desktop solutions or do all of your customers require multiple devices to render the app?

Color me curious

Bruce
kklosson

Re: Just curious, am I the only one building ONLY desktop ap

Post by kklosson »

I don't build on customer demand. I am a speculator. But so far I have only build non-responsive apps.
V8.8
MySQL, AWS EC2, S3
PDFtk Toolkit
Squiffy

Post by Squiffy »

I only build desktop at the moment, as that's all my business requires. There's just too much on a screen to be effective on a mobile for me.

I do build some simple monitoring apps for mobile that are just for me (let's me reboot servers and see metrics), though I don't yet to that in AIM.
David Wylie
Server : Linux (Centos 7), Client : Windows 10, db : MariaDB
"...a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as my wife would have it, an idiot."
customaware

Post by customaware »

I am Desktop only at the moment.
Cheers,
Mark
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

To me the "nature" of the app determines whether it should be desktop only or Mobile only or combo.

In the past few years watching the progress of Mobile grow, Mobile has been like a small extension to other existing apps that were already running on a network servers. Then "Local Apps" began to grow and brought so many ideas to using your phone at the local level.
But the logic and steps of building such apps are totally unique and very time consuming.

When it comes to Aware's Mobile, it offers a different opportunity, and that is building a full LoB apps with the same logic as you build a desktop app with a more intelligent UI for small screen. Aware isn't a tool for building local app, but a great tool for building a cloud multi tenant app.
tford

Post by tford »

Aware isn't a tool for building local app, but a great tool for building a cloud multi tenant app.
Very interesting observation, Ben.

I've historically been desktop only, but in the next 30 days I'll be extended certain aspects of two BSVs for mobile inquiry & update of the data.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

tford wrote:
Aware isn't a tool for building local app, but a great tool for building a cloud multi tenant app.
Very interesting observation, Ben.

I've historically been desktop only, but in the next 30 days I'll be extended certain aspects of two BSVs for mobile inquiry & update of the data.
You will love it. You will take it for granted, but if you were sitting side by side doing the app, with someone doing a full DB app in another language, make sure he doesn't carry a gun or he might shoot you out envy... :D