"Hybrid or Native Mobile App?" - A Good read

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
aware_support

Re: "Hybrid or Native Mobile App?" - A Good read

Post by aware_support »

Code: Select all

but the main issues is that we don't have access to phonegap plugins from awareim.
Version 7.1 to be released soon will include the most important plugins:
a) Access to camera
b) Access to photo gallery
c) Read geo location
d) Watch geo location
e) Send push notifications to a device
Aware IM Support Team
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

aware_support wrote:

but the main issues is that we don't have access to phonegap plugins from awareim.
a) Access to camera
c) Read geo location
d) Watch geo location
a) Will we be able to access "Contacts" and "Local Storage"?
b) Will we be able to provide different icon sizes as part of the package for the app store to use, when user installs the app?
mrbdrm

Post by mrbdrm »

aware_support wrote:

a) Access to camera
c) Read geo location
d) Watch geo location
:D
much respect
AwareIM is just getting better by the day.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

a) Will we be able to access "Contacts" and "Local Storage"?
b) Will we be able to provide different icon sizes as part of the package for the app store to use, when user installs the app?
No Contacts yet in this version.

"local storage" is available from your advanced scripts - even in 7.0
Aware IM Support Team
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

aware_support wrote: Version 7.1 to be released soon will include the most important plugins:
a) Access to camera
@Support;

Just like the phones Camera app, allows us to select front or back camera, how do we tell Aware to tell the plugin which camera to use, since the user may need to capture hi resolution or low pictures using the front or back camera?
The default should be the back, high resolution camera.

Thanks!
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Oh Dear, this is all getting a bit tetchy.... This is where I came from many years ago now and I guess where many of the original AIM users came from.

I have absolutely zero knowledge of Javascript, Java, java beans, coco-pops CSS, PHP WTF - or any of that stuff. I just needed to create a business solution that wasn't going to cost me an arm and 54 legs to get coded. Then I stumbled across AwareIM and their marketing said I didn't need to know any of that stuff - could create my very own business application just by writing my business rules.

Guess what? I could ... and I did ... and now my app is in use in three countries in two separate time zones and is being considered for adoption by the gliding movement's governing bodies in The UK and Canada.

Not bad for an app that is 100% Native AwareIM - not one single line of any other type of code, not one single plugin, and NOW these guys are telling me guess what, you can create a fully responsive multi-platform native Web app and I STILL don't need to learn other kind of code.

Even better NOW I'm being told not only can you build a native web app but you will soon be able to send push notifications from your app to all kinds of mobile devices with just two new pieces of Native AwareIM" language and a bit of setup.

WOW - BRING IT ON!! and I really don't give a flying fig whether it's Hybrid, Native App, Native American or relies on a server built by an alien from Mars.

Over the years, I guess AwareIM is being adopted and used by an increasing number of "professional" developers who have more coding knowledge in their little finger than I ever had or ever will have - and that's great, I'm sure the aware team appreciate the revenue you generate for them - but my point is this. These fora are meant to be a place where guys like me can come and seek advice. Indeed, in the early days I was helped immensely by people like Tom and RocketRod and a few others. These kind of arguments that I'm seeing more and more of really don't do AwareIM any favours and perhaps should be reserved for PM's between yourselves and Support - or a separate forum heading for professional developers where you can argue semantics and discuss milliseconds of performance enhancements to your heart's content

Personally, I think AwareIM is now being pulled away from it's core business plan - which is a business application development tool that can be used by ANYONE. But maybe that's just me - and maybe there aren't enough people like me to sustain the original business model

Anyway - rant over, can we all get back to helping each other please. Oh and one last thing. Somebody posted a few days ago offering 40 - 160 hours work. I didn't respond because I'm semi retired, but if you want an app that is 100% AIM - guaranteed (because I don't know anything else) PM me. I don't do aesthetics - I just make things work
Rocketman

V8.7 Developer Edition. Server 2016 Standard edition. MySql 5.5
mrbdrm

Post by mrbdrm »

rocketman wrote:Oh Dear, this is all getting a bit tetchy.... This is where I came from many years ago now and I guess where many of the original AIM users came from.

I have absolutely zero knowledge of Javascript, Java, java beans, coco-pops CSS, PHP WTF - or any of that stuff. I just needed to create a business solution that wasn't going to cost me an arm and 54 legs to get coded. Then I stumbled across AwareIM and their marketing said I didn't need to know any of that stuff - could create my very own business application just by writing my business rules.

Guess what? I could ... and I did ... and now my app is in use in three countries in two separate time zones and is being considered for adoption by the gliding movement's governing bodies in The UK and Canada.

Not bad for an app that is 100% Native AwareIM - not one single line of any other type of code, not one single plugin, and NOW these guys are telling me guess what, you can create a fully responsive multi-platform native Web app and I STILL don't need to learn other kind of code.

Even better NOW I'm being told not only can you build a native web app but you will soon be able to send push notifications from your app to all kinds of mobile devices with just two new pieces of Native AwareIM" language and a bit of setup.

WOW - BRING IT ON!! and I really don't give a flying fig whether it's Hybrid, Native App, Native American or relies on a server built by an alien from Mars.

Over the years, I guess AwareIM is being adopted and used by an increasing number of "professional" developers who have more coding knowledge in their little finger than I ever had or ever will have - and that's great, I'm sure the aware team appreciate the revenue you generate for them - but my point is this. These fora are meant to be a place where guys like me can come and seek advice. Indeed, in the early days I was helped immensely by people like Tom and RocketRod and a few others. These kind of arguments that I'm seeing more and more of really don't do AwareIM any favours and perhaps should be reserved for PM's between yourselves and Support - or a separate forum heading for professional developers where you can argue semantics and discuss milliseconds of performance enhancements to your heart's content

Personally, I think AwareIM is now being pulled away from it's core business plan - which is a business application development tool that can be used by ANYONE. But maybe that's just me - and maybe there aren't enough people like me to sustain the original business model

Anyway - rant over, can we all get back to helping each other please. Oh and one last thing. Somebody posted a few days ago offering 40 - 160 hours work. I didn't respond because I'm semi retired, but if you want an app that is 100% AIM - guaranteed (because I don't know anything else) PM me. I don't do aesthetics - I just make things work
you know it wont kill you to learn as you go :)
pureist

Post by pureist »

Your post is nonsensical/seems superfluous. Did you have a lot of spare time and were bored?
This topic was started by a user, not Aware support.
Have support said that Aware is going to transition to an app which requires a lot of technical knowledge?
I'm sure they haven't.
In fact, all the new functionalities introduced are consistent in their implementation with all previous.
Surely all you should be interested in is what Aware support ultimately deliver, not technical semantics debated by users.
"Personally, I think AwareIM is now being pulled away from it's core business plan"
There is no evidence in the finished product to support that statement.
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

@pureist You're right .... and I apologise for any offence caused. I wasn't bored - it was just a couple of posts in the thread that got to me a little but by the time I'd put my thoughts together, things had moved on by several replies. . This was one of those times when as soon as you've hit the submit button you think "I wish I hadn't have done that".
Rocketman

V8.7 Developer Edition. Server 2016 Standard edition. MySql 5.5
weblike

Post by weblike »

rocketman wrote:@pureist You're right .... and I apologise for any offence caused. I wasn't bored - it was just a couple of posts in the thread that got to me a little but by the time I'd put my thoughts together, things had moved on by several replies. . This was one of those times when as soon as you've hit the submit button you think "I wish I hadn't have done that".
Now you can re-edit your post on the forum after Submit was hit :)
Thx,
George
DB: MySql 5.6.42