Use case for having Event Triggered when Tab gets focus

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
BLOMASKY

Use case for having Event Triggered when Tab gets focus

Post by BLOMASKY »

50,000 FT Summary : I need to be able to work with multiple records in a BO at once on different tabs and its not easy

30,000 FT Summary: I am building a customer service application where a customer calls, our rep will work with them, they will hang up, another customer might call, have to service them, then return to the previous customer. So we need to be able to work with 2 diff. customer's orders / history at once.

Details: I have uploaded 4 screen shots. 1st one is the customer inquiry. Once a customer is selected from the list on the left, they have the option to click the "quote" button that is displayed on some lines in the upper right. That will open a new tab with this customers open quotes, orders, etc. (I did that for 2 customers, so you will see I have 2 tabs open, one for 108 St Lumber and one for Sterrit. (Screen shots 1st and 2nd customer.

NOW, along the top bar I have a fast inventory search option, where the user types in part of the description and an inventory inquiry opens with the last column being the date / qty and price of the last order for this item. To do that, I have to know which customer I am on and with 2 tabs, that the user can switch between, I have no idea how to identify the customer in focus (Inventory Search Screen).

If I have not confused you, does anyone have an idea how I can identify the active customer? I know in a grid, its easy to have a button inline that will send over the current selected record, but if I just have a button on the top bar, it has no clue which customer I last selected.

If there was an event that could run for every tab called 'On Focus' then I could shove the customer # into a global variable.

Anyone else have this need?

Thanks

Bruce
Attachments
2nd customer.png
2nd customer.png (238.01 KiB) Viewed 4098 times
1st Customer.png
1st Customer.png (103.49 KiB) Viewed 4098 times
Customer Search.png
Customer Search.png (232.31 KiB) Viewed 4098 times
tford

Re: Use case for having Event Triggered when Tab gets focus

Post by tford »

Are you talking about the Item Search box that is on both of your Customer screen shots?
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

Yes, that is on the VP Header and when I run that (or other items on the pull down menus that pertain to customers) I have to know which customer is current.
tford

Post by tford »

I agree that having the ability to trigger a process when a tab receives focus.

As a work around, perhaps the top part of the VP where the search bar is triggered from could somehow include the Customer BO so the proper Customer would be in context.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres