Editable Grid with LONG text field that wont fit

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
BLOMASKY

Editable Grid with LONG text field that wont fit

Post by BLOMASKY »

Ok, for all you smarties out there, I have an order entry system, where I have a grid with edit enabled, they can enter (edit) the qty and price (with description, line total etc. as display only). I ALSO have to let them enter an optional very LONG description that will not fit on the same line. So questions:

1). is there a way to have 2 lines in a grid, with the 2nd line being the text field (don't think so)
2). I thought I would put a wide but short form right below the grid, and when a row is selected, would display the text field in that form. but there seems to be issues when both the grid and the form are saving information

Any brilliant suggestions?

Thanks
Bruce
johntalbott

Re: Editable Grid with LONG text field that wont fit

Post by johntalbott »

Would it work to just have the description field allow the text to wrap if necessary? You can do that via an Advanced script.

Screenshots always help :-)
VocalDay Solutions - Agility - Predictability - Quality

We specialize in enabling business through the innovative use of technology.

AwareIM app with beautiful UI/UX - https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/crfUrrVeB3t
pureist

Post by pureist »

1. Why not have LineItemNote be an entirely separate object which is owned by LineItem object.
Then you could use expand row, and would have the flexibility of having more than one Note per LineItem if you wanted.
2. Or LineItem object could have a Note attribute but which is calculated at runtime and notifies via a Y/N the existence of a note, thus indicating there is merit in expanding the LineItem row.
3. Or, just have a button on the row to popup a form to enter the note, and display the first X characters in the Note attribute.
BLOMASKY wrote:Ok, for all you smarties out there, I have an order entry system, where I have a grid with edit enabled, they can enter (edit) the qty and price (with description, line total etc. as display only). I ALSO have to let them enter an optional very LONG description that will not fit on the same line. So questions:
1). is there a way to have 2 lines in a grid, with the 2nd line being the text field (don't think so)
2). I thought I would put a wide but short form right below the grid, and when a row is selected, would display the text field in that form. but there seems to be issues when both the grid and the form are saving information
Any brilliant suggestions?
Thanks
Bruce
customaware

Post by customaware »

Why not just have the long comment displayed when you expand the grid row?
Cheers,
Mark
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

that is a MOST excellent idea Mark, EXCEPT there is no way to know if there is a comment without expanding the row. (Yea, I could have a narrow column with an ICON, and that might work. BTW. here is a screen shot of the layout. The grid in the middle right is the one that needs a long description.
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

Humm, I guess I can't attach a screen shot to a reply.
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

Purist, the problem with "3. Or, just have a button on the row to popup a form to enter the note, and display the first X characters in the Note attribute.="

Is that if I am editing the row inline, then open an edit window, and save it, I lose the changes from the inline editing. It might be best to have a related table, but it seems like a lot of overhead just to be able to enter a LONG comment. oh well.

bruce
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

Bruce, did you give some thoughts to what Purist had to say? I was also thinking along that line.
Personally, I don't find Aware a perfect tool for line entry type of apps like Invoice/order entry. I had done some amazing stuff with Magic back in the day (Magic 5.7), but I suggest you step back and use popup or modeless mode to do each line. Why fight the platform?

Testing Pictures in Reply
↑↑↑ Seems to work, showing my logo above.